Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

All of my pages are printing with a previous page I had

Customer Question

All of my pages are printing with a previous page I had printed underneath. How do I get this to stop?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Is it always the same page reprinting (never changes) or is it always the most recent page reprinting as a shadow below the current one?
If you make a photocopy, directly from the glass, how does that come out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a previous page reprinting under the current page. And unfortunately it was a color intensive page so it's wasting a lot of ink.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I'm not quite clear - is it always the exact same color page that is reprinting, no matter what new ones you've printed since then?
Or does the underlying reprinted page keep changing as you continue to print new things?

Were you able to test a photocopy?

You don't even have to test a full page, you can stop the job as soon as it starts coming out, once you can see what is happening, so you won't waste too much ink.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Underlying page remains the same with the new page printing on top.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I'd like you to test a photocopy in both black only and in color mode though, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already tried a page in black only it still printed in color. Grrr... Color also remains the same, in color.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can see why it's very frustrating. :(
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. I know how frustrating that can be. I just needed that extra detail to properly diagnose the problem.

What is happening here is either a temporary firmware glitch OR a faulty logic/control board.

What we can try here is to fully reset the machine:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, will do.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** luck to you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No joy. Still printing the same. :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anything else we can try?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I'm here, give me a moment to finish typing, please. When you send multiple replies I lose what I'm working on and have to start over each time.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, no. In this case there is nothing else to be done. The logic board has failed.

As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well into its maximum 3 year designed service life, so this type of failure is not uncommon.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You're looking at $200-250 to have this repaired (replacing the logic board, which is both an expensive part and labor intensive to install). For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for this printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can try to help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was worried about this when I spent the money on this conference. I barely use this printer so this is ridiculous. Not you, but Canon for selling something that clearly wasn't designed to function. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, and I'm sorry I don't have better news for you.

I wouldn't expect much, but it wouldn't hurt to call canon and complain, you may be able to convince them to exchange it for you, or at the very least give you a discount on a replacement.

Personally though, I don't recommend this brand much anymore, they aren't nearly as reliable as they used to be. I usually recommend either Epson or Brother units for home/small business use. Epson tends to have a bit better print quality, but Brother tends to use less ink and the refills are cheaper.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,