Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My brother MFC-J431ODW continuously displays paper jam

Customer Question

My brother MFC-J431ODW continuously displays paper jam error, but there is absolutely no jam.
Please help....
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

There are in these cases, basically three possible causes of the persistent paper jam problem:

1. temporary circuitry 'persistent status', making the indication not disappear when it is actually relived, as far as the control circuitry is concerned, or

2. overlooked paper, or in some cases, lint or fluff too, provoking the jam message3. jammed or broken or otherwise defective paper presence sensor switch or sometimes defective circuitry, requiring repair, or

3. circuitry defect or sensor switch defect, requiring repair owing to producing false registering of paper presence where there is no paper.

So once you have dealt with (1) and (2), only (3) is possible.

To deal with those problems, do as follows:

first try (just to get it out of the way) a hard reset of the printer.

To hard-reset it in generic fashion:

Turn the printer OFF, when it is on, by suddenly and sharply unplugging it from the power source.

Also unplug it from the computer!

Leave it that way for 10 minutes.

Plug it back in.

Turn it on if it didn't turn itself on. Wait for it to initialize.

Try printing again.

Then, if that doesn't clear the error, you have to do this stuff:

A. open up the printer(after powering it OFF for safety) - all the hatches, all the doors, everything that can swing out or up. And also remove all the paper trays, and all the stacks of paper everywhere.

B. Look at everything (including the paper trays)... is there anything stuck anywhere? esp. in a sensor, esp. paper bits or dust. Is there anything broken anywhere? How about something (like, e.g. a swinging mini-lever or little switch-like thing, which might be a mechanical sensor) out of place, or jammed in an odd position? Correct what you find.

C. If your printer is an inkjet (rather than a laser printer), unplug it, with everything open, then turn it upside down (-don't do this with a laser, toner spills could happen inside and make things worse!-), and shake it - unless it's too heavy or you might drop it... in which case, get someone to help you, e.g. someone really big and strong.

If that eliminates or dislodges anything - paper bits, blocks of nameless hard stuff, or paper clips - then you may have cured the problem. Put the printer right-side-up, reattach all pieces and close all doors etc, plug it in, power it on, and see what it does.