Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My printer screen says "error" and refers to code 0.97 and

Customer Question

my printer screen says "error" and refers to code 0.97 and tells me to turn off the printer and then turn it on. I have done this numerous times and it still will not print and repeats this message. what should I do
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you please recheck that, is it perhaps error 0x97?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0x97
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error"

Specifically, it is the result of a bad scanner ccd head/pcb (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2014 model printer, you are hopefully still under the 1 year factory warranty and can file a replacement claim with epson.

There is one step you can take here, to reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

Beyond the warranty, you'd be on your own for repairs and while it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the scanner assembly, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will follow your advice.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

If you want to try the quick reset before you gear up for battle with the 800 number:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

otherwise, call(###) ###-####/p>

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,