Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My officejet 6110 xi will not initialize. while trying makes

Customer Question

my officejet 6110 xi will not initialize. while trying makes rythmic rumbling sound
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you getting any specific error code/number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
starts making funny noises while trying to initirlize and then says scanner failure turn off
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad scanner ccd head/pcb (or the logic board that controls it). That noise you hear is the scan head trying to move.

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2003 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the scanner assembly, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please advise on reset steps
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

To reset:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Again though, based solely on the noises you are hearing, there is an underlying hardware failure, which a reset cannot fix. Resetting would only resolve a false error message or temporary memory glitch.