Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I can't close the cover on my Canon printer. I just replaced

Customer Question

I can't close the cover on my Canon printer. I just replaced ink cartridges but when I went to put the cover back down the hinge won't loosen to allow me to put the cover down. Message I get is "Cover is open. Close cover.". I would love to be able to but can't! Please help!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Initially, try lifting up on the upper lid slightly, then pushing down over the entire assembly to lower it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done that several times.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Do you see the lever/hinge below the middle section of the lid? You can try pushing up/back on that slightly while pushing down on the rest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done that also. Nothing will give.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like there is a physical obstruction then. Are you sure the ink cartridges are fully seated and locked in place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
except one is still blinking that it needs to be replaced but since I don't have the replacement cartridge I haven't replaced it. But they are all locked in place. The others changed from blinking red turned to solid red when I replaced them.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It will not let you close it until the cartridge is replaced.

And it will not function without a cartridge that has ink in it. You'll need to install the cartridge to proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This cannot be true. The cover can't possibly be expected to stay open with the printer "guts" exposed until you are able to buy a replacement cartridge. This does not make any sense.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The bracket over the head that locks the cartridges in place will not fully close with a cartridge missing, and thus the main lid won't close without the carriage docked.

Even if you could close it in the current state, the printer will refuse to take any action (won't print, won't scan, copy, anything) without all cartridges present and accounted for anyway.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could understand that it wouldn't close with a missing cartridge. But there are no missing cartridges. All cartridges are there, just one of them is blinking that it needs to be replaced. But it is there. I can understand that the printer won't print if the cartridge is out of ink, but it does not make sense that the cover won't close just because the cartridge that's in there is out of ink. People may need to open the cover just to see what type of cartridge they need to buy (I'm pretty sure I have done this before also and was able to close the cover after I looked).
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you, I thought you were saying that one of the cartridge was physically not present at the moment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are all present. Any idea what could be causing this?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Other than some physical obstruction or a broken hinge, that is really about it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah that's as far as I got also. Thank you anyway.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, and sorry I can't be more help for this remotely. If it was in front of me I'm sure I'd be able to see the issue to resolve it much more quickly.