Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience Computers, Electronics, and Printers - HP, Canon, Xerox, Ricoh, Lexmark, Oki, Ghestner, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Sharp
23511658

My brother mfc 9970 is getting vertical bands on the right

Customer Question

my brother mfc 9970 is getting vertical bands on the right side of the transfer belt I have replaced belt but the lines keep coming back
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Are they in the same place every time? Have you replaced anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I need an answer to both questions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only thing a have replaced is the transfer belt and the vertical band s are always on the right side of the trnsfer belt in the same spot
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** being in the same place every time can be caused by the drum failing. When was the last time it was replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about three months ago
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Please remove the drum and clean the corona wire. There should be a green tab you slide across to clean it. Once cleaned please test and see what happens. If the same thing happens print a blank page and let me know if there are lines on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I,m not at the machine right now but how do you clean the corona wire
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
There should be a green tab you slide across to clean it. Once cleaned please test and see what happens. If the same thing happens print a blank page and let me know if there are lines on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok when i get to the machine i,ll try that
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Take all the time you need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned the corona wires still getting gray bands down right side of belt
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
You mean on the page not the belt correct? Did you test a blank page?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its on the belt and right side of page on the backof document
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
The line is showing up on the transfer belt only but not on printed pages then? I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** may be able to provide you with some additional assistance.

I did read through your question and your discussion with the previous expert. So if I've missed something I apologize. It sounds to me from what I read or at least as I understand it, that there is a streak on the transfer belt, but it is not causing anything unusual on the output. If this is the case, then it is very likely to be just a leaking or misaligned toner. You would only really have to be concerned about it, if it is in fact not showing up on the page, if it was causing a mess inside the printer that has to be cleaned up even if it's occasionally. There should not be that much toner coming out onto the transfer belt, although it is not uncommon for there to be some on the edges because the very edges do not get transferred and there is sometimes buildup of toner there. So if they are coming up on the belt – and on the right side of the belt specifically (I'm not sure if you mentioned the side of the belt you are seeing it on), then it's usually nothing to worry about and you can just leave it like that with no adverse effects. Also, if you've received a message or do receive a message about emptying the waste toner cartridge or been, be sure to do that at that time. Sometimes waste toner can roll back onto the transfer belt if the bin is full.