Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My XP-410 is connected to my iMac(I think), but is not

Customer Question

My XP-410 is connected to my iMac(I think), but is not printing well at all. I didn't save the sheet that shows the connections, grrrr.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Could you please try making a photocopy for me, directly from the glass (test both black and color modes) and let me know how those come out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is not printing at all - just a blank paper.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.
Since it happens with copies as well, it means this is a printer issue, not a mac issue.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2013 model printer, it is nearly at the end of its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $125; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $60-80 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,