Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Epson 388 Pro I am getting and error message saying 1401.

Customer Question

Epson 388 Pro
I am getting and error message saying 1401. What is this and what do i do to fix it. I just changed Epson inks and this happened. I'm 200 plus miles from any tech service so i'm hoping it is something you can help me with. Norm Clasen
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This error indicates an air leak.

This can be from bad/loose tubing, or a faulty pump/pressure assembly.

Remove the upper housing and you'll see the pump assembly at the left. Check that the tubing hasn't come loose.

If that is intact, then the pump assembly would have to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that but what is error 1401 and how do I fix it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Nathan that is 1404 not 1401, Norm
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update.

Still related though, it is an air/pump issue.

With this error it can be resulting from an improperly seated cartridge. If there is not a good seal between cartridge and the input port on the printer air can leak causing this.

Remove the cartridges, check them over carefully for any packing material (tape, foil, etc) and reseat them tightly.

If no change back to checking the tubing and pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
` will try that first . Back to you in a minute.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that and all seem perfectly fine and clicked in as normal. They are brand new Epson cartridges fro DTG. Still getting Service error 1404. What is next?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I'd take them out once more, wipe them off well on cartridges as well as where they mate up inside.

Unplug power for 5 minutes to reset, then if it still persists the printer needs to be serviced (most likely with the pump replaced).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will try once agai n. Do I try to clean the ports inside the printer or just on the cartridges?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I would do both to make sure there is nothing obstructing them.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

After that, the printer would have to be taken apart to inspect the tubing and pump and most likely replace the pump/pressure assembly. This is generally not considered a DIY job though. I can help you with service options you can send it in to if you'd like to try that route.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If inside, what do you suggest I clean them with as to solvent brush or what do you recommend?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still need advice as to how best clean inside the printer where the holes connect.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Use qtips moistened with rubbing alcohol.