Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

Using a CSSI system on a MFCJ470DW Brother. From new

Customer Question

Using a CSSI system on a MFCJ470DW Brother. From new replaced with generic carts..all good. Bought CSSI and installed Cyan and worked for a week. Had problems with arm to trigger door closed today.. Cut down door around long carts. Inserted CSSI Cyan and closed door...I hear a triple beep telling me that CSSI Cyan isn't recognised. Reinserted empty Generic Cyan, same result, although cart empty. Either generic and CSSI Cyan carts have broken something or a reset is needed. Turned M/C off but no clearance of problem. May need to get genuine Cyan to see if problem clears. Have filled all other CSSI colours and these are accepted by printer. The display shows all colours have been reset except Cyan. Printer doesn't accept full CSSI Cyan at this point.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. There is no reset for something like this. If it was working before with the CISS or the generic then you would not need to get a genuine cartridge. Have you tried cleaning it yet?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi...The problem has corrected itself without a specific solution, but I'm not sure whither its permanent.
The display called for removal of the cart and reclosing of the cover lid. After several repeats, the CSSI cart was pushed in and no warning beeps were made. I printed a test sheet and then inserted the rest of the CSSI colours, did a manual charge and all good.
I cut a portion off the hinged lid but leaving the hinge and the arched lever in place. The lever still connected with the internal microswitch and I taped the lid in place.
I'm still keen to explore your possible comments though....
1. What do you suggest I clean? This is not a clear instruction.
Steve
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for explaining that further. The machine uses mechanical sensor as well as built in software to detect the ink cartridges. I would remove the cartridge and clean the entire area inside the machine you insert it into. Then you would want to clean the cartridges themselves just to be on the safe side. Do this with a cotton swab and a tiny bit of warm water until no ink comes off onto the swab from inside the machine. As for the cartridges just get any dried ink off. If the machine has a dirty sensor causing this just cleaning it should be enough. If it is software you would need to update the firmware. After doing both if the problem is still there you normally need to replace the print head assembly. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Brother.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check the printer over the next week...at this point the printer has corrected itself. I have been charged a nominal charge at this point as it wasn't clear that my initial assistance would be free for a trial period. The website detail was very poor and I believe it was a con to make me pay when I put up the initial question.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I have no control over billing what so ever, in fact I didn't even know there was an offer like that. I am a technician only, we are independent just like the customers on this site. The only thing I can tell you is this site only pays us for our time if the customer leaves a positive rating. Otherwise they do not pay us anything at all. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Brother.
.