John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Had a paper jam. cleared the paper and checked the ADF etc.

Customer Question

Had a paper jam. cleared the paper and checked the ADF etc. Turned power off and on, still does not clear the printer error message.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the specific error message/code you are getting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ADF error
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It should be giving you a specific error code/number. What is that please?
Also can you confirm your printer model, you've listed both hp and epson here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not giving me an error code number. It is an HP deskjet F2200 all-in one series.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Can you please recheck again, that may be the series, but isn't the complete model number. If it is, then there is something else going on here because the 2200 series are some of the most basic models that HP makes and they don't have an adf feature, just the flatbed/glass.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OOps sorry wrong manual its an Epson Workforce 545. 3 lightsflashing at the moment, WiFi, Auto Answer and on/off.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you for clarifying. Now where were you seeing that "adf" error message?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Front vertical panel, on the screen above the set up, help and reset buttons
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, flat rollers, etc) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty adf drive motor/gear/belt, etc).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the lid over the adf, and check carefully with a flashlight for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions that may be dislodged by it. Next take a piece of stiff paper, such as card stock, and push it through the adf as far as you can, several times.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.