Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have an Epson Workforce 610. I had a paper jam. I removed

Customer Question

I have an Epson Workforce 610. I had a paper jam. I removed the jammed paper. I turned off the printer and turned it back on. I still have "A printer error has occurred. Turn power off and then on again." I have done this a number of times and the error message still appears. I can not find any additional paper jammed in printer.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Do you get a specific error code/number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Getting this "error occurred" is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb). It is quite possible as well that the jam was removed, but caused damage to internal components in the process.

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same error message appears. have tried resetting twice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any other suggestions
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trying, and sorry that didn't help.

Unfortunately, that really leaves only the possibility of a hardware fault at this point.

The one remaining thing you can try, just to be absolutely certain there is no remaining paper stuck, is to take a piece of heavy card stock and feed it into the printer from the front (where a printed page would come out) to dislodge any bits that may still be there. Then do the reset once more.

If still no change, we're back to a hardware fault. As a 2009 model printer, this type of fault wouldn't be surprising just from normal wear and tear, as they are designed for only a 3 year service life. Even if this jam issue had not happened, it was on the path to failure in the near future anyway. There is unfortunately no practical resolution here though.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $125; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry also.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I wish I had better news for you, but in cases like this I'm unfortunately limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem, and giving you practical advise for how to proceed. At 6 years old, you got double the expected life out of the printer though, so you were lucky overall. The printer was likely deteriorated already, and the paper jam pushed a component beyond the breaking point. At this point replacement is the most practical option. If looking for a replacement, I’d still recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,