Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a canon ir3225 and a DOS-based program. I need to

Customer Question

Hello. I have a canon ir3225 and a DOS-based program. I need to print, but get an error on copier.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

honestly that is probably going to be a royal pain. what operating system are you using and how is the printer hooked up to it ?

usually dos programs require an lpt port which that printer cant run off.

up until and maybe including xp you could capture the port and redirect it

anything newer than that you have to set the printer to share and then use a net use command to redirect lpt1 to the printers share name. it doesnt always work. and it would work better with an older laser jet like an hp4 than the canon which may require postscript or pcl commands instead of straight text

but here is the command if you want to try it

Use the net.exe command to establish a persistent connection. To do this, use the following syntax at a command prompt

net use lptx \\printserver\sharename /persistent:yes

where x is the number of the printer port that you want to map, where printserver is the print server that is sharing the printer, and where sharename is ***** ***** of the printer share.

For example, to map LPT2 to a printer shared as Laser1 on a print server that is named Pserver, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
  3. Type net use lpt2 \\pserver\laser1 /persistent:yes, and then press ENTER.
  4. To quit the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER