Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a canon mp830 printer with error code 5100, can it be

Customer Question

I have a canon mp830 printer with error code 5100, can it be repaired easily?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
strip is clean, holding power button down did not help, printer made some noises, but nothing like it was abnormal, fairly quite electric motor sounds cycling on, then off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 of these printers, my other one makes terrible noises when the lower paper cartridge is not used, upper one does not work. I cannot find any obstructions in either printer.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trying, and sorry to hear that didn't help. This would indicate a carriage drive fault or logic board fault then.

That noise you are hearing on the other one would relate to a fault in the paper feed path.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

In either case, there is no practical resolution. This is a 2006 model printer, and at nearly 10 years old it is many times the maximum 3 year service life it was designed for.

Parts are all discontinued, and even if available repairs would run you $200-250, which simply isn't feasible when you can get a brand new and upgraded model with a fresh warranty in the $80 range these days.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the logic board is the large printed circuit board on the side of the printer underneath the cover? The carriage drive is where? I am thinking about swapping parts from one to the other, to make one good one.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is the large circuit board. The carriage drive is the servo motor that turns the belt which ultimately moves the printhead.

These units are difficult to get apart and back together again, there are a lot of plastic tabs that tend to break when separating the casing. It's mostly cosmetic, but expect to do some damage in the process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well you said that the reason I have the 5100 code was 2 parts needed replacement, I have replaced them with known good parts,the code is still there. I will look at the printer this evening again to verify, but I am not satisfied you have given me good info
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I said it would be one of those 2 parts as the most likely cause. There are other secondary components that can cause this as well, including the carriage pcb assembly (carriage, printhead, homing sensor, etc)

Based on the info you gave me about the other printer, it is quite possible the logic board in it is faulty as well, so we really cannot assume that you have used known good parts here.

If the other printer actually was working still, even with only one tray, why not just continue using it as-is and leave well enough alone? You can at least continue using it in its current state for as long as it lasts, though both printers are at the point now that any added service is a bonus and not to be expected. All the components are at the stage where the head will fail, absorber system will fill up, rollers will start to flatten out, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get back to you soon
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks