Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I had a brothers printer before now I have a cannon pix a

Customer Question

I had a brothers printer before now I have a cannon pix a mg2900 I can't print from my iPad or iPhone. when I hit select printer it tells me no AirPrint printers found
what do I do.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the full and complete model number of your printer?
2900 is the series, but not the actual model. It may be MG2920 for example.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MG2900
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay, this is a limitation of the printer itself. The MG2900 series printers are extremely basic models (there is a reason they sell for around $30). This printer lacks airprint technology - you cannot print to it directly from your iphone/pad. The printer is simply not capable of this feature.

You can however install a special canon app on your devices to get some print functionality.

Go to the app store and search for "PIXMA Printing Solutions". That app gives you some limited printing ability (saved documents, photos, etc).

If you need full airprint functionality, then you'd need to consider a different printer model. I'll be happy to recommend some more capable printer options, if you prefer to go that route.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I PAID 50 Some dollars and its prints photos scan to my smartphone and tablet. the problem is
that I need help on how to disprogram the brother I had and program the cannon
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The printer routinely sells for as little as 30, that is where I got the number from.

Regardless of the cost, it is still at the base end of the feature spectrum.

While the printer does have a wireless capability, meaning it can be connected to your home wifi network, that will give you only wireless printing/scanning from computers and some android devices (via google cloud print). This model still lacks a specific "airprint" protocol however.

It seems you are asking a different question than you had posed initially.

There is no need to disprogram the brother, simply turn it off or disconnect it from your network (unplug).

You can then install the canon on your computer(s). Again though because it is a very simple model, and lacks a touch screen, you have to connect it to your network manually, by plugging the printer into your computer with a usb cable then using the canon software to "teach" it how to access your network.

At that point the usb can be unplugged for wireless use (but still not by airprint, which is outside the capabilities of this model, the best you can get is the app I mentioned).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is not what the instructions read. I will go back to where i got it from and ask them,
since I got no help from you please refund my money back to my amexco
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

What are you seeing in the instructions that you feel is different?
It does mention it can be used with phone/tablet, but that is specific to use through the google cloud print function for android devices. Unless you specifically see the term "air print" which is not listed for this model, it isn't directly compatible. That is why you need to use the canon app instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IM STILL GOING TO WHEREI BOUGHT IT AND RETUTN IT FOR ANOTHER IF I HAVE TO.
PLEASE REFUND MY MONEY
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You can certainly do so, in fact I would recommend it, you are better off with a more capable model, which is why I offered to recommend some for you.

I have no control over billing however.

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. While I understand this is not the news you wanted to hear, it is a limitation of the printer hardware.

Best regards,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Also, If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC