Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My HP Officejet Pro k8600 printhead will not move

Customer Question

Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Do you get any specific error message?
Grinding sounds?
Flashing lights?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of those.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

So it is not even powering on at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It powers on and sound like it is initializing. The paper light flashes even when it has paper. No alarm message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printhead dosen't move when I open thelid.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you for confirming,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately this indicates a hardware problem,
specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead, bad carriage pcb, or the logic board that controls it. Since the head will not even move, that makes a logic board fault the most likely.
The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2007 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.
There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.
While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.
Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.
Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
How would you like to proceed from here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your assistance. Would like more info on the cleaning/reset steps and help with finding parts,
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing,

Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while printing. This is the printhead.

You'll remove the ink cartridges from the printer, then remove the carriage/print head (there will be a small lever at the side/rear of it that lifts up to release) and clean the metal electrical contacts/pins on back of the head, as well as where they made up inside the printer.

Dry well, then reseat the head and cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If still no change, then replacing the head would be the next step. Again though, this simply isn't worth it. The cost of the head alone is up to twice much as a new printer, and it isn't even a guaranteed fix, it's only about a 50/50 shot of it working. Your printer has 2 separate heads, one for black/yellow, and one for cyan/magenta, both have to be replaced:

http://amzn.to/1DUoNwG

AND

http://amzn.to/1JZxCX1

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1DUoWAl

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,