Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I am getting the message that 10.92.00 cartridge not engaged

Customer Question

I am getting the message that 10.92.00 cartridge not engaged on my 3600n. I see from the posts I have read that it might be the black cartridge I have looked at the locks and nothing appears to be broken. The weird thing is, i printed one page, and then the next time I went to print I got the message...I did no change cartridges or even open the printer...
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. Thank you for requesting me particularly, and I regret not being able to respond sooner... I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
The first thing to do is, to make sure this is not just an erratic occurrence or 'glitch', and give the printer a 'rest reset':
- unplug from the power, sharply and suddenly, while the printer is On.
- leave that way for 2+ hours, or overnight if you are in no haste about the matter.
- plug in to the power, only after that interval. Turn the printer On if necessary. See if it now recognizes the cartridge again... it may, or may not, depending upon whether a 'breakage' in the circuitry occurred, or hopefully just a temporary glitch perhaps caused by the transfering of static discharge into the printer. (This can happen in dry air, or esp. when wearing woolen clothing or any sort of sweater.)
If the problem persists, please Reply to me with the exact and full text of the error message on the printer's display, and I will advise you further as to what to do.
If the problem seems solved, please rate my Answer - or Reply letting me know what rating you would like to give my work on your question. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This did not work.....I am not satisfied with your answer.....
There is something that is not letting the printer front close all the way....
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That may be the problem, but certainly will need to be taken care of.

See if the cover is

1. out of alignment

2. prevented from closing by another cover being open, inside it - close that cover first.

3. anything like debris, loose parts, paper, anything... that might be stuck in the door.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is nothing in the way...the message seems to be indicating that the black cartridge is not seated properly
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. And is it the top cover of the printer as a whole, or its outer case, that is not closing completely?

Or is the the top cover over just the cartridges, in the carriage that slides back and forth, inside the printer, that is not closing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the "cover" over the top is completely closed...the front of the printer opens to load the 4 toner cartridges into....the left side of the front panel looks closed, but the right side is open just a little....just enough to notice that it is not right. I am guessing it is because the toner cartridge must not be seated in its slot all the way...though it looks as if it is. I checked all the issues I could find online, and there is nothing that appears broken on the machine or the cartridge. I just cannot figure out how to proceed...
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
The cartridge must be in wrong, not fully seated, or else broken/defective/etc.
Open the printer, take the black cartridge out. (At this point, try closing the printer - to see if it now closes completely, eliminating other causes as the cause of the cover being open a little too much.)
Try opening the printer again, and putting the black cartridge back in fully, and correctly. Then try closing the printer again.
Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I take the cartridge out, it just says install supplies...which of course, I do not have another black cartridge. THe door looked no different. Put the cartridge back in, and the same message appears
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

What black cartridge number are you putting into the printer?

Is it an HP original OEM-made cartridge, or is it a 'compatible' or refill etc. cartridge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Q6420A...its a compatible but not HP....but it was working fine and then I got that message about the cartridge not being engaged...
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Then it seems that your 'compatible' cartridge has perhaps lost its compatibility. Either that or (worse) your printer no longer 'sees' cartridges. Either way, something will have to be done in the way of replacement or servicing - unless, of course, there is a lot of loose toner in the machine. Remove the cartridge and examine the space around and under where it fits in, for toner leakage, etc.