Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

My MFC 9120 CN sometimes won't "boot up" when I turn it on.

Customer Question

My MFC 9120 CN sometimes won't "boot up" when I turn it on. It just keeps giving the message "Please Wait". Other times it works just fine. Could an uneven voltage cause this?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Can you explain what you mean with uneven voltage a little more please?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Uneven voltage is just a guess about the symptom based on 1) a claim from internet searching that a voltage filter might fix it, 2) a friend who had a similar thing with dental equipment in Nepal said the common variability of electric power there was the problem, and 3) I live in an old neighborhood where the service wiring might be substandard. But I'm also interested in any other possible causes of it not starting.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes voltage can cause this problem the reason I asked you you to explain a little more is because normally that is only a problem if you move from country to country. Can you test a different outlet for me? A different room would be best. Take all the time you need as I know it may take a while for it to appear again.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The MFC 9120 CN has not had a problem starting up in the last 6 times I've used it so I haven't been able to compare on a different circuit. My variable voltage hypothesis was based on the idea that there was substandard wiring outside the house anyway. For future reference (if it gets worse again) I'm interested in the couple of possible other causes you were going to suggest (and how to test for them) and how much time energy and money it might take to remedy.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
After testing another outlet the first thing to test is the power cable itself. You can do that with a multi meter. You would also want to clean all dust around it first as dust can cause a lot of problems. After that it would normally be caused by a failing board. To test that you need to dismantle the machine then chest the capacitors and transistors on the boards. Any of them failing can cause an intermittent failure like this. Usually when it is a board though it is expensive to replace so some people replace the machine instead. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Brother.