Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

We put in 2 new ink cartridges and now the printer says an

Customer Question

We put in 2 new ink cartridges and now the printer says an error occurred and to turn off and turn back on which doesn't work. The printer makes a screeching noise and won't print.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

What specific error code/message does it give you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An error has occurred. turn off printer and turn back on. If this doesn't work check your manuel.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It should give you a specific code number though, such as b200 for example, or C600

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did not give a code.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Are you using genuine/new canon ink or generic/refilled ones?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We used the Canon ink cartridges. The new ones.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't work yet, but I do now see a code C000.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel there may be some paper stuck in there somewhere that we can't see. I will take it in to the store where we got it tomorrow and they will check it out for me.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update.

C000 is a "diffuse" message, simply indicating an internal fault. Typically this means a hardware failure though.

If there is paper inside it will continue to error out until that is resolved.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It is not likely the store would help you though, at least not for free.

This is an extremely old (2006) model printer - and they were designed for only a 3 year service life.

Any printer repair shop is going to charge you a minimum of $100 for diagnostics and typically $200+ for overall repairs.

That just isn't worth it when you can buy a brand new and updated printer with a fresh warranty for about $80 these days.

I can recommend replacement options for you, if you prefer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are your replacement options? We have like the Canon printers.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Personally, I don't recommend the canon brand much anymore, they aren't nearly as reliable as they used to be. I usually recommend either Epson or Brother units for home/small business use. Epson tends to have a bit better print quality, but Brother tends to use less ink and the refills are cheaper.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC