John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I'm trying to print a very important document on my

Customer Question

I'm trying to print a very important document on my MFC-J470DW printer. It just spews out many blank pages. I've tried checking for paper jams (none), pressing the stop/Exist button (nothing happened) and even unplugging the printer from the wall socket. None of this has solved the problem. Help! I need to get this document printed as soon as possible!
Thanks,
Becky
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never mind I don't want a live phone call--takes too long to get a call back. I want an email response--and quickly, please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't possibly sit at my computer whole day waiting for your response. I have to go to work.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,
Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...
Initially, has a print head cleaning been tried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've not tried a print head cleaning and don't know how to do so. Just FYI I put in a new black ink carteridge yesterday, and the document I'm trying to print is in black, if that makes any difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think is preventing it from printing?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Can you please re-trace the steps in installing a new cartridge? ...ensure that it is seated/installed correctly?
Cleaning the print head would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.
Could you please try?
• press Menu;
• use ▲/▼ to choose Ink;
• press OK;
• use ▲/▼ to choose Cleaning;
• press OK;
• use ▲/▼ to choose Black;
• press OK.
Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The menu arrow only give me an address book to go up or own with the arrows. I am confident tht the new ink carteridge is seated/installed correctly. I;ve done tht task many, many times. And the printer was working fine last night. My mistake, I finaly found out how to get to the cleaning the black carteridge, which it is doing now. Now it says "completed." with no error messages.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Can you please try to "test print" any short document?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't thihk the new black carteridge is preventing it from printing. It waa printing fine last night after the new carteridge was installed.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Not the new cartridge; the print head(s). As a test, can you try printing any colored document please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Louie, it printed both the test page and the important document but is still spewing out severl blank pages. How to fix that?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
The blank pages may be part of the document itself and may not have been deleted/cleared previously (most likely).
It is also possible to be a setting (least likely).
Could you try turning off the printer and rebooting the computer? ...and/or clear the print queue?