Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

My Kodak ESP Office 2150 printer has been perfect until

Customer Question

Hi...my Kodak ESP Office 2150 printer has been perfect until now. I just replaced the Black ink cartridge (as usual) and yet the screen still states "Black ink cartridge needs replacing. Replace black ink cartridge. Press CANCEL to continue with ....". Cartridge is new and I've taken it out twice and correctly inserted twice. Help!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Have you tried cleaning the machine yet?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your quick reply, Freddy. The printer is kept pretty clean but no I have not cleaned the machine internally yet. I do not see anything in the User Guide about cleaning this printer. Did I miss it? I saw a movie (The Lightbulb Conspiracy) about the built in obsolescence of things like printers. The movie showed that some (probably most) printers are programmed to print for 'x' no. of copies. Is this is what has happened to my printer? The movie also showed that a computer chip can be changed to make the printer work until the parts break. Am I being forced to buy another printer? Be honest, Freddy. Thanks Pat
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That is a myth caused by the fact that HP used to use cartridges that could expire even if they were not empty. Large machines like Xerox have a counter. I have not seen that movie but that part at least is nothing more than fear propaganda. If I did not work on all brands and models I might have believed the same thing. Another myth people tend to believe is that every error message can be reset or bypassed but that is simply not true either, though it can be done under specific circumstances.
The problem with newer consumer models (Kodak and Brother being the worst offenders) is they use cheap materials that die easily. Then the replacement part ends up costing more to replace than the machine itself. You are not being forced to do anything you may need a part, but whether you choose to replace the part or the printer is your choice.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.