Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My pixma mg2922 isnt working currently. it wont let me print

Customer Question

my pixma mg2922 isnt working currently. it wont let me print for some reason even though its all installed and whatnot
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to be more specific, my CANON pixma mg2922 isnt working currently. its all installed and set up and whatnot but for some reason when i try to print something it just doesnt work even though the queue says "printing". but then it keeps saying "printer offline" and i have no clue what that means. also im on a Mac OS-X 10.6.8. any help would be much appreciated!
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. How is the printer connected? Usb, ethernet, wifi, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's connected via wifi.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I'm trying to get it to work wirelessly and I'm not sure what the issue is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it currently says "printing microsoft word" and then lists the document name and says "printer offline" but then below that, its status is "printing" for some reason.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well the issue is most likely that the printer itself is no longer properly connected to the network, a very common problem.Go to the printer itself, are there any lights showing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, its still turned on so the green light is on, then the wifi symbol has a blue light that keeps blinking. then theres a triangle above the black and color ink options. thats a yellow orangish light.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would it disconnect from the network randomly like that when the printers still on and such? and how can i get it connected again? its really insanely hard to get a printer to work wirelessly i feel like
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That blue light blinking means it is not connected, or is trying to connect.Random disconnects happen all the time - power outage, router glitch, and printer hardware problems (extremely common on these cheap/basic models). You can unplug power to both your router and printer for 60+ seconds to reboot.If it doesn't reconnect on its own, then the printer wifi connection has to be reconfigured (which is indeed a pain, and has to be done through your computer, via usb cable)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay i will unplug those now for about a minute and plug them back in and see what happens
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. If you need help with the wifi config or the software to do so, let me know.If possible, you may be better off just using the wifi connection in this case, if the printer is close to your mac. It would save a lot of configuration hassles both now and in the future.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, i plugged them both in.now the wifi light on the printer isnt blinking.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Is it lit solid, or off completely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and now im looking in system preferences on my mac and am under print and fax and im noticing its still saying offline here as well as "default." how should i proceed from here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i unplugged both my router and the printer for a min or two then plugged them back in. and now my printer wifi light is solid blue, not blinking
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
The mac will not recognize the printer as online until the printer is actually back on the network. At this point, the printer is not connected to the network at all.you can look on the printer (and your router) for the WPS button. press and hold that button on your router for for a second, then do the same on the printer, it should reconnect.If your router doesn't have that button, or it doesn't work, then you'll have to plug the printer into computer via a usb cable to configure it to the network (or just continue using it via usb)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay i just did that. it seems like my printer isn't even detected on my computer. i clicked on add a printer and nothing even showed up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still not working. is there any other way that i can get this to work wirelessly? it's a wireless printer so it SHOULD be able to work that way
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can. As I've said, the printer has to be reconfigured to the wifi network.This is a very basic model printer, it has no lcd display or buttons, so the only way to "teach" it how to connect to your network is to plug it into your computer via the usb cable, and use the special canon configuration software to complete that process. After that it can then be disconnected from usb, and used as wifi only, but not until that is done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay ill have to see if i can find my usb. i dont remember it coming with one though
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
USB is the primary configuration method. The other is via the WPS button (your router may have one of these, it may not - the technology is considered obsolete and insecure, so it is rarely used anymore), and the wifi/wps button held on the printer just after, to pair them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes my router has a wps button i held it down for a bit but to no avail...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah so my printer did not come with a printer usb cable. i have other usb cables but they dont work. i didnt realize i had to buy a printer usb cord separately. ill have to do that then tomorrow to get this taken care of. so i guess ill have to wait.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since it doesnt look like the wireless will be working anytime soon
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
After you did the wps button, did you next hold the wifi button on the printer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i did
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay. it won't hurt to repeat that a few more times, if no change then you'll need the usb cable next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, ill try it again
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. If no change, let me know when you have the cord and I'll guide you through the rest, if needed.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah, no change. okay i wont be able to get the cord until tomorrow. :/
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, take your time.If you need one late, they do sell them at target, walmart, etc.It is just a standard usb a/b cable.