Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I have the head homing error after several years of flawless

Customer Question

I have the head homing error after several years of flawless printing. I do not, however, see the clip or clips on the printer (after lifting the platen and the paper feed assembly up) and the print head is parked (from what I can tell). This situation does not seem to correspond with the instructions and situation described in the resolved question below. In fact, there does not seem to be a "front panel" at all and the only two screws I see on the right side of the printer are in the back (and there actually two screws on each side in the back). What now?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. What is the exact and entire error you are getting including any numbers? Is it the same number every time?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Every time I have turned off, disconnected, re-connected and turned on the printer: "Error 5100. Printer error has occurred. Turn off power then back on again. If problem persists, see the manual." (I should tell you also that the portable phone base unit that is connected to the fax port on the printer was replaced less than a week ago, although I doubt this has anything to do with a "head homing error," although I'm told that receiving the 5100 error can be the result of a number of other causes.)
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.