Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I'm trying to find out if the Canon IPF 5000 works with Macosx

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out if the Canon IPF 5000 works with Macosx Yosemite.
Category: Printers
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I’m Wes. I’ll be glad to help with the issue and answer any questions
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Th Canon IPF 5000 is compatible with Max OSX Yosemite.You may need to download the latest drivers from the website.Click on the following link and choose your Operating System to get the updated software and drivers:http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageprograf_series/imageprograf_ipf5000#DriversAndSoftware
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. That page says this (when accessed from Yosemite): There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
That means that the driver is already included with your system. It is compatible.Does your system detect the printer?
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
If the printer is not automatically detected, you can install additional Canon printer drivers using this link: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1742?locale=en_US
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does detect the printer. I removed and reinstalled the printer in the "Printers and Scanners" section. It found the printer and set it up, but when I try printing a test page I get the same "Printing - Open error" message.I printed a test page from the printer's control panel, and that worked okay.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Try updating the latest drivers from Canon using this link, then remove and add the printer again.https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1742?locale=en_US
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
I did read the compatibility list for the printer.This printer is compatible with OS X Version: Macintosh® OS 9.1/X 10.2/10.3/10.4If the driver update does not work and your Version of OS X is higher than 10.4 it may no longer be supported.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same result.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
What is your OS X Version number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10.10.4
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.That version of OS X is not compatible. Canon states that version 10.4 and below is compatible.We can try a workaround. Download this driver to and use it for your printer.It's an older driver, but may work in your case. It's unofficially a work around that might work.http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0045748.asp?model=
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure I understand. All versions of Yosemite are 10.10.x. I have the very latest version.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Wanted to make sure you had the latest update .4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some more info. I hooked up a laptop using USB, and that worked. I normally use an ethernet connection. I can inspect the printer using the web interface over the internet connection, so I know it works somewhat.It adds the printer as a Boujour printer. The printer does have a fixed IP address. I'm wondering if I should add it differently.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Using the Ethernet connection, the issue is your firewall software. It is blocking the printer communication.If possible, use the USB cable for better connectivity so you don't have to change your firewall settings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I very much doubt it is the firewall. All of the systems being used are behind the firewall. The firewall is the default router, but that has always been the case for the many years I have used the printer. We haven't changed our firewall configuration.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
A fixed IP address is good to use on a printer.The firewall issue would be on the Mac itself. Do you have McAfee or any other firewall software installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the clarification.The Mac firewall is off, and I don't have any other security software installed.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
ok. Thanks
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to use the USB vs the Ethernet cable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really. The printer is located some distance from the computer I use.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Instead of automatically adding the printer. Try manually adding the printer and use the IP address.Connect the printer using the Ethernet cable and follow these steps to add the printer.http://www.msl.ubc.ca/it-support/printing/install-printer-osx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that with the same result.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
I'll open the question so other experts can help.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. We definitely want a manually installed driver. The latest driver for that printer on a mac is the driver for mountain lion 10.8 , iPF500080009000-Drv-MacX8-306.dmg You can download that driver here. http://goo.gl/PeYd0p ALthough that driver is for 10.8 It should easily install on 10.10 .. Before you install go into the printers and scanners system preference option on your mac. select the current and any copies of that printer and remove them. Then, for good measure perform a quick permissions repair. Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions . Once it says permissions repair complete. Then, install the driver you downloaded. With that driver, we should be able to get the printer working and recognized by y our yosemite 10.10 mac ( when its networked ) If you run into any issues, let me know. ( though my shift does end soon, I just wanted to ensure you received further direction on this issue, today ) Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.