Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

In 1995 I bought a Brother PC3000 from an authorized dealer,

Customer Question

In 1995 I bought a Brother PC3000 from an authorized dealer, paid plenty for it, and have used it OCASSIONALLY in these 10 years with, probably between 40 and 50 hours of total usage. After about 6 months of non-usage, I attempted to use it but was unable to get the computer key pad to work. This, of course, made the machine inoperable.
I took it to an authorized dealer, MidSouth Sewing Center in Knoxville, where I was told that since it was an old machine (10 years) it might be beyond help because that is how it is with computers. I might mention that I have a 50-year old portable Singer at my winter home that still works perfectly. Nevertheless, I left it for their assessment. Now I receive an e-mail from them saying that the key pad is not available and it cannot be repaired.
I am sure you will agree that this is quite unacceptable. Please help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. First, let me be clear. We are not brother corporate nor are we a affiliated with them. If you contacted brother corporate support, they are just going to tell you that you are 20 years past your warranty and to buy a new machine. As far as the repair shop you spoke to, I think another repair shop is in order. Within 15 minutes online I found both possible parts you may need. This link, is just for the keyboard panel itself ( not the actual screen) If the screen is lighting up and you can read it, but the keyboard itself is not working. Then here is the keyboard you can order and replace. http://www.worldoffaxcopierparts.com/product/xa4331001/ Thats the exact keyboard panel, for the Brother Pc3000 If however, the machine turns on but the LCD display itself stays blank. Here is the much more expensive LCD screen.http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/lcd-board-assembly-babylock-xa4332001.aspx The Keyboard panel is a simple install. The LCD is a bit more involved. An acceptable charge would be 50$ to install the keyboard ( after you pay for the part ) Or 80-100$ to install the LCD ( after you pay for the part ) If they ask for substantially more than 50$ to install the Keyboard panel. Id consider going elsewhere. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin,
Thanks for checking this out for me BUT it was a dead end.
worldoffaxcopier.com does have the required part on its outdated web site but does not have it in stock. I called them and was told that if Brother doesn't have it, this source cannot get it. I got the same reaction from another source that advertises Brother parts, along with a suggestion that I try e-bay. I will do that but I would have hoped that by buying your research service I would not be left with scrounging around e-bay myself.
I appreciate that you did what you could but, given that your advise led me to a dead end, I think that a refund is in order. Thank you.