Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a Cannon IP100 and have a print direct port connected

Customer Question

I have a Cannon IP100 and have a print direct port connected to a USB on my computer. Software/Drivers look ok, but I get a USB001 error message" A noncompliant device is connected..." every time I try to print.
Thoughts?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
To get started, I need to know what type of computer you're using with the Printer.
Windows XP, Widows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Or a Mac.
If it's a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows.
Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac.  And then where it says version,  send that to me as a reply.
Thank you,
Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using a MS Surface Pro 3
Running Windows 8.2Thanks for your military service!
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Im familiar with windows 8.1 and Windows 10 which is looming right around the corner. None of my sources mention a release of windows 8.2 though.. Can you clarify? Also, Microsoft has a support document that lists the "non compliant" error as a fault in the USB hardware. A couple of notes. Are you running the newest driver from t he canon support site here? http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_ip_series/pixma_ip100#DriversAndSoftware And also, you arent connecting the Printer to a USB hub are you? ( is the printers usb port connected to a direct USB port on the Surface pro?) Im sure its going to take a bit more conversation before we work through this, so dont hesitate to respond. Dustin S.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Another small note, Im not suggesting this is our only solution. But its worth noting that you could connect the printer wirelessly by Bluetooth, to your surface pro. If you purchase the canon bluetooth adapter here http://amzn.to/1KeW33C That would bypass the USB port issue. Its worth a though as an option~ I will wait for your reply. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant 8.1I downloaded and installed all the new driver and software.I'm not connected to a Ian hub. I'll pick up a new printer cable on the way home and test that.Will let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
To be clear.. It was a USB hub I was referring to. I want to make sure that we have the USB cable from the printer, connected directly to a USB port on the computer. ( and just for clarity, we cannot use a Lan cable. It must be USB ) Also, we may want to check the device manager to make sure that the printer isn't mis-registered as an unknown device in device manager. Can you check as follows. ( when you have time ) Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press ROnscreen should be a box that says Open / Run . In that box type in,devmgmt.msc and then hit enter.Now, inside the device manager windows that shows up, were looking for any device that says unknown or unrecognized device, and it may have a yellow warning mark next to it. If you see any of those devices, let me know what they are labeled as and what category they fall under.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Dustin - I got a new direct print port to usb cable. I'm still getting the same error, so I don't think it's a cable issue.
I looked through the device manager and there weren't any issues there either. I made sure I had the latest driver and I do.
Any other thoughts on how to resolve this?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, my apologies for the delay in replying. the 22nd was my wedding anniversary, and I was away from work on the 23rd. Im here all day today and all weekend if you want to continue. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem. I've exhausted each of the options we've discussed w/o luck. Any other ideas on how I might be able to resolve this issue?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
You may have to consider either the canon wireless / bluetooth printing adapter here. http://amzn.to/1KeW33C Or, we may need to connect the printer to another computer on your network, and then share it so that the Surface pro can use the printer without encountering the USB port conflict.