Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I just tried turning on my HP Officejet 8600 without any

Customer Question

I just tried turning on my HP Officejet 8600 without any response.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Are there any signs of life from the machine at all? Solid/flashing lights, anything on display screen, beeping/clicking, etc?Any lights on the power cord?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir. No life at all. Really baffled. Checked out the electric plug and that's not the problem. Tried plugging into other outlets.
This isn't the original problem. Had another issue that kept me from using it for a few weeks. Just tried turning it in and it was dead.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming, and sorry I missed you earlier.Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2011 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluationunplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I tried unplugging the printer, wsiting five minutes, holding down the button and then plugged in the printer continuing to hold on to the on/off button, without any luck.
I was concerned for being charged $21.00. $26.00, $5.00 and $1.00. The extra deductions weren't 'to necessary.... Your company made no effort to correct the deduction to the single $26,00 amount...,
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update, and sorry that didn't work for you. Regarding the billing - I have no control over billing issues, so I can't correct it myself. But I can see that it was caused because you posted 2 separate questions:Ours, at http://www.justanswer.co.uk/printers/974sf-just-tried-turning-hp-officejet-8600-without.html?src=pql&sso=1and another at http://www.justanswer.com/printers/974rr-reason-computer-will-not-turn-on.html#re.v/174/ I had already put in a request to close the duplicate and issue a refund, on your behalf. The additional charge is because you posted another question - this is how the site works, you're charged for each question, as the system can't differentiate between a duplicate and something on another topic. You should see that refunded back in a few days typically. Regarding the printer specific issue, again I'm sorry that didn't help. Unfortunately at this point the printer really needs to just be replaced, it just isn't practical to fix, as I mentioned earlier. Depending how you'd like to proceed though, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know. Best regards,Nathan