Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

HP8500OfficeJetPro.....wouldn't print black ink...deleted old

Customer Question

HP8500OfficeJetPro.....wouldn't print black ink...deleted old driver....uploaded new one....didn't fix the problem....read articles that indicated it might be a printhead issue. I took black print head out and put it back in. Now....every time I try to print...it goes through the entire "self diagnosis" protocol and says "alignment failure."
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. How old is it? Did you get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No warranty/extended warranty. I am sure of age of printer. I am thinking less than 3 years of fairly light use
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure of age
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The factory only lasts a year unfortunately. Have you cleaned it by hand yet?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleaned the actual jets by hand? If so, no. How would I do that? Pull it out and use an alcohol swab?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
....and....even if I did clean them.....now I am dealing with the alignment issue. I am thinking it may be new printer time
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Sort of it uses nozzles though, Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.
Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is a small area on the cartridge ink will come out if pushed that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.
Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.
If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
If the same thing happens after doing this I am sorry to say it would mean the carriage assembly needs to be replaced. Your model does not have a removable print head like the kind that you referred to originally instead it has a carriage assembly and the print head is part of the cartridge. You can get the part here:
http://www.partshere.com/online/detail.asp?partno=CB022A-Carriage_Assy
however due to the price when not under warranty some people do decide to replace the machine. If you decide to go that route Amazon may have some during their sale tomorrow. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't forget about you.....printer takes forever to go through it's diagnostic after turning back on. I tried to print something....got some of the colored part...then it prints a test page. Tried printing a simpler document that is just text in a colored font (basically where I was when I started this process)....and it is now going through the entire "aligning process" again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just read your last answer.....I can actually remove the two print heads (they kind of resemble ink cartridges)....thinking that it may just be easier to get a new all in one printer (printer finally spit out my simple "different color" page.....and is following with the annoying test pattern) Any recommendations on what is best with a Mac? Yeah....I have read a couple of reviews but, seeing how you are an expert, you may know off the top of your head. I don't need multiple trays....I don't print many pictures but I do need color. This HP has been a bust!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what you guys are going to charge me for confirming what I already strongly suspected but I thought I would at least get a recommendation for a new one for whatever I owe you
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The price would be whatever you agreed to when you posted your question I have no control over billing or your machine needing a new part. As for a recommendation right now the best machines on the market are the Epson WF series machines. I would not recommend any other series Epson though for example I would avoid the xp models. If you prefer to stick with HP I would go with an envy model. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.
.