John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have just purchased model # ***** Had to replace older

Customer Question

I have just purchased model # ***** Had to replace older model J430W.
Have had the telephone company tech stop by to help with it and checked that all
the wiring is correct. I can send faxes out. can scan to my e-mail, makes copies
etc. BUT it will not receive faxes....Friends have attempted to send from different
places & nothing. It has a short short ring on fax #(###) ###-####so that we know not
to pick up when home #***-***-**** rings.
We have tried for 2 days to get this one glich figured out. Our computer tech also
helped delete all the old system use by the J430W as well.
There must be something blocking the receiving of faxes at the(###) ###-####line.
Can you help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you first please double check that the system is plugged in properly - by that I mean that the phone cord from the wall jack is plugged into the #1 (line) port, and not into the #2 tel/tad port? If it is in the wrong one it will fax out still but can't receive. Next, check the that you have the fax mode set to auto answer (drpd setting) and select the proper pattern for your fax number. Let me know if that helps.Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the setting in window is D/R The green wire from the modem is plugged into the Brother line, the white line
from Wall jack is in the modem. The grey USB cable is in the Brother & connected to the computer brain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the printer there is only a slot for (line) and 2nd slot says (ext)
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
The line slot is what I'm referring to, that is where the green wire from the modem needs to go.Beyond just d/r though, you still have to tell the brother specifically what ring pattern is used