John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I just purchased a new HP Pavilion Slimline 400-434 and am

Customer Question

I just purchased a new HP Pavilion Slimline 400-434 and am trying to reinstall my Canon printer/copier to the computer. I saved the CD with the driver software, but when I installed the software, didn't know what to do about some of the questions I had to answer in order to install the printer. It still won't print. Do I need to uninstall the software and choose the correct "location"?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. What version of windows is on the new computer? How is the printer connected to it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddy, and thanks for taking my problem on! You're a brave soul.
I have Windows 8.1
Printer is connected by a cable with phone-like connections on either end. Don't know what to call that, but hope you understand. I do know usb, hdmi, etc., just not everything ;)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops... it's Windows 8... which came installed on the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The phone-like connections I'm referring to are the old-time wall plugs we used to plug those antique hard-wired phones into, lol
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That sounds like an Ethernet cable they are slightly bigger than phone cables but look identical. Are you sure that is how you had it connected to your old computer and not usb? Have you tried downloading the latest driver?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, had less luck with installing the driver from the Canon website; I didn't even get the installation wizard with that one. My old computer was connected by Ethernet (yes, I do remember my late husband calling it that...) because our systems were connected with a router in the house. I only operate my own computer, and have gotten rid of the network setup.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That would make sense if the printer was connected directly to the router and not the computer. Is that how it was connected?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but on my old system, it was connected directly to my computer with the Ethernet. I don't even see a USB or even a serial cable on this printer.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Is it the same cable? A standard ethernet may not work and could cause this issue. It would need a cross over cable which looks the same.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a yellow one and a blue one... rather generic looking. They both worked on the other system, but I didn't think of maybe not working with my new one. What non-standard Ethernet cable do I need to search for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried each one individually, to no avail.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I apologize but I am going to need to ope out and open this to all experts.
.
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

I am an Information Technology Professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.
I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.
May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?
Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.
Thank you,
Jason