Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

How do I fix MX882 5B00 error

Customer Question

How do I fix MX882 5B00 error
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer is a Canon MX882 and it is getting a 5B00 error message.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you
The error code is a service error indicating ink absorber full. Usually this involves getting the absorber replaced and for the same the unit needs to be serviced
The ink absorber is basically a sponge pad that collects excess ink during printing and cleaning cycles
You can try the reset sequence below
Press the power button to turn off the printer.
b. Hold the "Stop/Reset" button while pushing the power button. While still holding down the
power button, release the "Stop/Reset" button and then push it twice in a row.
c. Wait approximately 20 to 30 seconds until the LED shows 0.
d. Push the "Stop/Reset" button four (4) times in a row.
e. Push the power button twice.
f. Turn off the printer by pushing the power button one more time. The printer is now reset.
now try printing..if it still repeats the error it means that the pad is full, there is a risk of ink spillage within the printer which can cause further damage
turn off the unit....slide the cradle to one corner..now have a look..you will be able to see a sponge
if the unit is within warranty cover, please contact canon to get this sponge replaced.
else if the unit is out of warranty, please take out the sponge, clean it with water...let it dry for few hours...then insert it back in...else you can contact a local repair store a get a new sponge and insert that one in and this error should get fixed
i hope you understand that in case of hardware faults i can suggest cleaning and reset steps but cannot make a bad part work again
Let me know if you have any questions
please click on a smiley face below or stars above to complete the rating if your question has been answered
Thanks for choosing Just answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mena by 'slide the cradle to one corner..now have a look'. What is the cradle?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
the cradle is the carriage that moves to and fro during printing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cradle won't move. Is there a trick to getting it to move?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer is off but the cradle will not move.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
in case its not moving i would not suggest to force it
however, just have a look beneath the cradle ..if you see a plastic tab thats spring loaded try to push it toward yourself..that should free the cradle movement
however in case you don't see such a tab or pushing it makes no difference then the cradle might be stuck
the cradle gets stuck usually when the internal sensors jam its movement
in such a case the next action would be to get the unit serviced so that the ink absorber pad can be replaced and in case something is jamming the movement and causing the error that gets fixed
let me know if you have any questions