John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Why isn't my brother printer, 3170CDW, not printing color?

Customer Question

Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If the printer, in all prints and in test prints, is printing the black ink, but leaving out all colored-ink portions of all prints, then it has a problem in the inking system. If you have an Apple computer, that you are printing from, they sometimes have a Grayscale setting activated in the printer's driver settings, that can produce a monochrome printout where there should be colors.In which case, self-test prints from the printer itself should show colored ink to be just fine. Try a self-test print from the printer - which often can be done by pressing the Status button, at least on some Brother printer models. Let me know what result you get, and I will advise you further. Thanks.