Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

My HP Officejet 8600 just quite working with error message:

Customer Question

My HP Officejet 8600 just quite working with error message: Printer Failure. Problem with printer or ink system. None of the on line suggestions cleared the error. I took the ink cartridges out and cleaned the head with q-tips but still no joy.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. How old is it? What suggestions are you referring to that you tried?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine is 2 years old, but not used much as I live abroad most of the year. I unplugged the power and rebooted the machine several times as suggested.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Does the error have a number?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No number, just the error message in the original question.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Try printing from your computer, normally it gives and 0x number too which can help narrow down the issue.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same message. Suggest I contact HP.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok I want to make sure you also know this is not HP this is a paid tech support site called JustAnswer. Did you happen to buy an extended warranty with the machine?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know this is not HP. That was part of the error message. No I don't have an extended warranty.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
No problem I was just making sure. You already tried most things that can cause this. However there are two it sounds like you have not tested. When you cleaned the cartridges did you also remove and clean the print head? Have you replaced the CMOS battery?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not remove the print head, just reached back in there with q-tips and cleaned the best I could. I did not replace the CMOS as I don't know what it is...
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The CMOS battery is a small battery on one of the board that when dies can cause this error. The print head is the part the ink cartridges sit inside of. This shows how to remove the print head:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02871867
You would want to remove it and clean it the same way you did the cartridges then test again. Sometimes replacing the print head with a new one fixes this but I do not recommend that if the same error comes back after cleaning. Normally if that is the problem it will work at least temporarily after cleaning. If the same thing happens you would need to test the battery which is a lot harder to get to, this shows how to take your machine apart:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/productdata/Countries/_MultiCountry/disassembly_multi-_2014324132430.pdf
The battery should be on the PCA board and normally looks like a watch battery. You can use a multimeter to test it or replace it to test it. If the same thing happens it would be a bad sign, it would mean either the carriage assembly or PCA board has failed and needs to be replaced. On rare occasions it can be caused by both failing at the same time but that is not common.
Due to that if neither the battery or print head turns out to be the problem some people do decide to replace the machine instead. If you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.
.