Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have a PIXMA MX420 which has worked faultlessly .

Customer Question

I have a PIXMA MX420 which has worked faultlessly for years.
The blue Wi-Fi light is on and printing operates Ok but when I try to scan by clicking on Auto followed by Scan a Scan Gear box appears with the message "Cannot Scan for these reasons - Scanner is turned off,- USB cable is disconnected. Please try again. Scanner drive will be closed. Code:5,156,61."
How do I get the scanner to work as it should?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you
please let me know the operating system installed on your computer thats connected to the printer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Toshiba Satellite L730 computer using windows 7
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know the operating system you have on the computer and when was the printer working fine last time without a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The operating system is Windows 7.
The printing function has worked without fault. The scanning function works Ok when operated from the printer but it stopped working from the computer about 5 days ago.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
1. Unplug the routers power cable and let it sit for 2 to 3 mins.
2. unplug the printer power as well and let it sit.
3. Connect the routers power back and let it turn on and bootup
wait for 3 mins to get the router booted up and be stable
now turn the pc/computer on and let the computer connect to the wireless and verify the pc is connected to the internet using wireless service.
4. Now turn the printer power on and let it boot as well.
Now try to print and tell me if it prints or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I stopped my computer, stopped and unplugged the router, stopped and unplugged the printer and restarted everything as instructed.
When I tested the computer for an internet connection Norton 360 found an Error 8506.421 and Norton Auto Fix tried to fix it without success so I restarted the computer and the internet connection connection is now Ok.
I plugged in the printer and started it. I tested it for printing and printed a document from the computer Ok.I then tried Auto Scan and it still doesn't work. The same Scan Gear box message appeared.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
try using windows fax and scan software to use the scanner and let me know how it goes.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/scan-a-document-or-photo-with-windows-fax-and-scan
or you can download the navigator software to use the scanner.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx420#DriversAndSoftware
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****,
I have fixed the problem.
Using the Canon MP Navigator EX Custom Scan with One-click the result was the same.
I then tried the MX Canon Solution Menu EX - clicked on Help & Settings - Network settings - Preferences and changed the scanner setting from MX420 series to MX420 series Network. And the problem was solved.
Regards,
Bob
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any questions
please click on a smiley face below or stars above to complete the rating if your question has been answered
Thanks for choosing Just answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see that $32 has been deducted from my credit card.I don't think that you earned it as I solved the problem myself.