Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Trying to figure out how to get the black in my printing on

Customer Question

Trying to figure out how to get the black in my printing on an wf-7610 blacker. I think maybe it's printing composite rather than using the black ink.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.
I am sorry to hear that you are facing problem with your printer, i will try my best to resolve the problem at the earliest.
Did you change any cartridges recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It's got lots of ink in it. I'm not using espon ink, however. Still, the ink is a true black - I tested a small drop on the paper and it's very black. I think the issue is it's using a composite to print the black instead of just black ink, or mostly black ink. I'm printing an insert with a black background, but there is colour in the image.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
please let me know if you have windows or macosx on the computer thats connected to the printer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mac.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Instead of black, the background is a dark brown. Very annoying. I'd try making the background a dark navy, which I've read works, but the photo that makes up the front cover is of a man in a spot light, so behind him it's black, and making this black match with the background black is important, otherwise it won't blend.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
it seems i have to check the print density settings
would it be fine if i remote access and check the settings
if yes, please follow below steps for remote access
please open the website www.teamviewer.com
in the page that opens click on start full version
it will download a file teamviewer exe
click on the file to open\run it
once its installed, the temviewer window will open
let me know the id and password ***** on left side of the window
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see "start full version" - just download now. Should I go ahead and install it?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
yes..click on download now and install it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
731(###) ###-####
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
please do not close teamviewer..i am trying to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm got a message asking me to confirm you are trustworthy and it was giving me a sever warning. When I noticed it it was nearly out of time. Did it kick you off?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
438 983 469 (1:14 PM):
hi
michelle this side
i am now connected
you can chat with me on this box
731 725 302 (1:15 PM):
Okay.
438 983 469 (1:15 PM):
i will now check the print settings
please leave the mouse
438 983 469 (1:22 PM):
which file are you trying to print
the one that i see on screen
731 725 302 (1:23 PM):
Yes. The image on the screen now is the photoshop image I use to create a tiff file. That is then used in InDesign to create the inserts - MP3 CDs.
These. They print on 11 x 17 glossy paper. Nice stock.
438 983 469 (1:24 PM):
ok let me check
438 983 469 (1:29 PM):
did youb try thr composite gray setting before
731 725 302 (1:30 PM):
No. Wouldn't it cancel all the colour?
438 983 469 (1:30 PM):
yes it would
i was just asking
if you had made any changes to the presets
731 725 302 (1:31 PM):
I've tried a few different ways of setting it up. Played with the proof settings and suh.
438 983 469 (1:31 PM):
ok
438 983 469 (1:33 PM):
the problem is that ink manager option is showing as grayed out
ideally it is clickable and then we can change the ink density of one or more colors
731 725 302 (1:34 PM):
I wonder if that's because I'm using a non-epson cartridge. The epson ink is way to expensive so I've got refillable cartridges.
438 983 469 (1:35 PM):
so even i am out of ideas about the exact cause
731 725 302 (1:35 PM):
I think I'll just live with the ink as it is. It's very late and very hot here. Where are you?
438 983 469 (1:35 PM):
it shoukd not be due to refills as this is a software setting
i will open this question to my fellow experts so that if anyone has an idea baout it, they will reply to you
731 725 302 (1:36 PM):
Oh. I noted that that setting was not available in Photoshop, either. I tried playing with the colour settings there, as the image in the background is from the photoshop file.
438 983 469 (1:36 PM):
you will be notified via email about this
i will exit the session and opt out so that my fellow experts can have a look
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need help on this?1 if you one section of the picture prints the proper color but another one won't match it you should be able to use the ink dropper icon to copy that color and the bucket thing to replace the bad color with the good one Otherwise you might want to try the Epson ink if you need exact colors and quality. Printers always mix inks even on pure black to make it stand out more. Generic ink may not mix the way it expects the Epson ink to. You might also try a head cleaning. If the black is just a little bit clogged it won't show up looking at a drop of ink but it will be under represented in the blend