Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My Canon Pixma MX892 is giving me an error message: B200 Printer

Customer Question

My Canon Pixma MX892 is giving me an error message: B200 Printer error has occurred. Unplug the power cord and call the service center. I live in a very rural area and have no idea how to fix this or who to take it to.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
This is a very common failure and error among canon printers.. It points to either dirty ink tanks, faulted ink tanks, or a dirty or faulted printhead.
It may take several steps to repair it, so please be thorough and patient as we work through the process Elisabeth..
A lot of websites and experienced technicians see a B200 error and assume the printhead needs to be replaced.. While this is sometimes the case, and often is.. Its not the end all meaning and solution to that error.
It could be several possibilities.. The one I want to focus on is dirty nozzles, and dirty contacts on the printhead.. Heres the deal, since the printhead is useless and needs to be replaced unless we repair it.. Then we are free to take the steps we need to repair it because if we dont repair it, it has to be replaced.
Remove all inkk cartridges, and then remove the printhead.. Note that on the bottom of the printhead there are extremely tiny nozzles.. This is where the ink comes out of.
One of these could be clogged, bent, or burnt or otherwise damaged.
What we want to do after we remove the printhead is soak it in a solution of windex and water, say 1 part windex to 3 parts water would suffice. If you dont have windex rubbing alochol will work, 1 part isoprpyll alcohol to 4 parts water.
We only want to soak the nozzles on the bottom of the printhead, Take care not to soak the electrical circuit board contacts where the printhead contacts the printer, or where the ink carts contact the printhead. Once we have let this soak for about an hour, while it is still wet. Take a old toothbrush and gently scrub the bottom of the nozzles. The idea is to remove any gummed up ink. Without bending or breaking the delicate nozzles on the bottom.
Once scrubbed, take that same lint free cloth, and now dip it in the cleaning solution we made and thoroughly clean the contacts on the printhead. Contacts for the ink cartridges inside the printhead and also the contacts where the printhead meets the printer itself. Once the printhead has been thoroughly cleaned.. Have a read over this page which goes into depth about specifically cleaning the nozzles.
https://correctcomputing.wordpress.com/2015/06/30/canon-mx-860-printing-failure-is-it-actually-my-printhead/
Once dry, put it back in the printer, do not insert any ink cartridges yet.. Once the printhead is in, turn the printer on. If you still get the b200 error stop right here.
The only other problems that this could be is possibly a bad power adapter. This is somewhat rare, and it could also be a logic board fault. which is also rare.
If you did still get the b200 error, Your best option is to replace the printhead or replace the entire printer. Replacing the printhead will get the printer working again. But if its close to the cost of a new similar printer, id go with a new printer because a new printer has a warranty on it whereas the new printhead will not.
You can order a new printhead at this link.
http://amzn.to/1enbuZA
The cost is about 80$.Including shipping.. You will notice that below the picture you can order two models of Canon Pixma printers with ink and printheads for right around 80$. Such as this one.
http://amzn.to/1GS977M
As far as what route to choose, if you really liked the printer. I would repair it. If your not that attached to it I would replace it and get a new low cost printer that has a one year warranty.. That way if something goes wrong, you can at least be within warranty and get a free repair or replacement.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I havent heard back from you in a week.
Did you run into any issues carrying out the steps I suggested? Did you need further assistance.
Please respond when you can, Thank you.
Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your service is nothing better than a scam. I just checked my credit card bill and find a charge there for a monthly service I do not want but could not reach any kind of service person without agreeing to it. I could agree to a $5.00 fee to get a question answered but to have to give my credit card number before I could reach anyone to get a question answered is outrageous. That fee MUST be removed from my credit card IMMEDIATELY or I am seeking legal advice. I have ordered a replacement printer and it is NOT a Canon.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
If you walked into best buy and asked the geek squad to help repair your printer, they would charge you up front and there would be no refunds even if they were unable to fix the printer. And theyd charge you over 150$. You did not have to sign up for the monthly service. If you did sign up for the monthly service, you can cancel it with a few clicks. This link will help you do so http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-cancel-my-subscription As far as being a scam. Lets consider what transpired here. I wrote you a very well detailed answer. Covering advanced repair steps for fixing your printer. If those steps failed, I included links to the part you need to purchase in order to fix the problem. I also made it clear that if you needed further help, or just wanted to actively discuss the issue you could respond. I dont work for Canon, so whether you buy another canon printer or not is irrelevant to me. What is relevant to me is that I spent my time and Expertise writing a long, detailed reply to assist you. Expertise that I have amassed over a 15 year career in tech support starting out in the US Army as a network controller. For a mere 5$ deposit you gained access to 15 years of knowledge , received a well written and correct response to help repair the printer. And youre claiming you were scammed? Im going to opt out, and I hope you will re-evaluate this viewpoint you have taken. If you decide you want to discuss the repair suggestions I made, You are welcome to reply. I will gladly assist you as long as we are discussing repairs. If you want to talk about accounts, refunds, payments. You can reach our live customer service department below. US/Canada1-***-***-****Available 6am to 9pm PST International Australia1800-679-634New Zealand0800-452-621United Kingdom0***-***-****The rest of the world1-***-***-****