Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Need to hard reset as printer keeps shutting down immediately

Customer Question

need to hard reset as printer keeps shutting down immediately with error "all functions will be disabled"
Problem is model is mfc-j4710dw and only button is on/off button. everything else is on touch screen which is of course not working.
How to hard reset this model?
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you
Please let me know that the error all functions will be disabled comes up on the printer immediately after turning it on or when you try to print something on the printer
also let me know how old is the printer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.printer is less than year old
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes printer wouldn't turn on at all
then after lots of tries, it showed error message, followed by "standing by. on/off to resume"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and then it powers down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I googled this and some one suggested hard reset and that worked for someone with another model
Problem is this model is touch screen, so only has the on/off button so I can't follow the hard reset steps
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
please turn off printer and unplug power cord
keep the ON button on printer pressed for 10 secs
wait for 2 mins
plug in power cord and turn on printer
let me know if the same error comes or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will try thanks
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it turned on for 2 seconds and then the same series of errors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all functions will be disabled, and then it powered down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
since this is a touchscreen model, the sequence i gave above was to reset the printer
however, that seems to have made no difference indicating an internal fault with the printer
we can try advanced steps but considering the fact that this is less than a year old it still has a warranty coverage
any further steps we take might void the warranty so in such a case the best step would be to contact Brother at 0800 329 111 to get an inwarranty service scheduled
their operating hours are Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm and Saturday/Sunday 9:00am to 5:00pm
i hope you understand that in case of hardware faults i can suggest cleaning and reset steps but cannot fix internal faults in case unit requires service for inwarranty products
Let me know if you have any questions
please click on a smiley face below or stars above to complete the rating if your question has been answered
Thanks for choosing Just answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not happy that the only answer was a simple manual reset (which I had already tried myself) and then please envoke warranty. Will be requesting money back.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
since this printer is in warranty, if i suggest steps that may void warranty cover and in such a case if you need to get any parts replaced there would be charges for the same
that is the reason,i suggested to contact brother support for getting the unit serviced
i have provided you the correct information
there are more rest steps but since you have a touchscreen model and the options on the screen are not working, those steps are not possible in your case
please understand that i cannot provide support due to functional limitations of a machine's design
thanks for choosing just answer