John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My Samsung SCX 4600 printer does not power on. When I hit

Customer Question

My Samsung SCX 4600 printer does not power on. When I hit the power button as normal, which should start the start-up heater and cycling on, it just has the sound of a muffled relay somewhere in the machine. As long as I press the power button, the sound of the relay continues. No other action accompanies it. Help, please!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Can you explain this a little more please? I don't know what you mean by a "muffled relay".
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an intermittent sound similar to a relay turning on and off (muffled tapping on and off, about twice a second). Normally, I hear it just before the normal start-up. As long as I keep the power button down, the intermittent sound keeps going but with no further action.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That sounds like a power shortage, have you checked the caps on the boards?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have taken off the back chassis and tightened all screws I can see. No power connections seem to be loose.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I was not referring to connections/screws I meant the capacitors. You would need to check them with a voltmeter.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a volt/multi-meter, or specialized electronic tools.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You can not test them without one and it is not a specialized tool any hardware store would carry them. They usually cost around $10. I will opt out and open this to all experts for you.
.