Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I constantly get message: 'cover is open' and the 'cart

Customer Question

i constantly get message: 'cover is open' and the 'cartridge return' which inhibits me from doing anything while the message is displayed. Any ideas?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.
Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.
Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where's the print head?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
It is the part the ink cartridges sit on top of, sometimes called a cradle.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
..
..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was unable to turn off machine and then unplug because then the print head is in the box on the right and I am unable to access it. Instead, I unplugged the machine while it was turned on. I then was able to move the print head back and forth and did as you said,. Instead of fixing the problem it caused another one. Now when i try printing something I get message: 'PRINTER ERROR HAS OCCURED 5200'
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Nothing I told you would cause any type of error. This error was already there we just were not aware of it because of the cover error. Error 5200 is a carriage error which is the same thing as a cartridge return error. That is not a good sign. How old is the machine? Did you get an extended warranty? Does the carriage move over to you now if you open the machine?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's not true because I was able to print and fax before we started this when the 'cover is open' message went away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine is around 5 years old and the carriage still moves over when I open the machine
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The 5200 error is a carriage error and you said originally you were getting a cartridge return error, which will not let you print or fax due to the fact the cartridges have to be used during those operations. The cover open error you most likely could print and fax with though. When you were getting them both together the 5200 error was most likely already there. At that age even with an extended warranty it is no longer covered. You may unfortunately need a new part. It moving over on its own is a good sign though. Have you tried cleaning the machine yet?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Incorrect. I was able to print or fax when the cartridge return error message went off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try cleaning the machine
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That should not be possible with an error specific to the carriage/cartridges not working and you seem to have ignored my question as well. Since I have mentioned repeatedly that you may need a new part and since what you are saying the machine did should not be possible I will be opting out and opening this to all experts.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. so do I pose the question again?