Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My Epson WF2540 copy/fax/scanner does not recognize the new

Customer Question

My Epson WF2540 copy/fax/scanner does not recognize the new 200XL ink cartridge I just put in in response to warning "you need to replace the following ink cartridges - 200/200XL". Thinking it might be a defective cartridge, I yet opened another Epson 200XL cartridge and tried it to no avail. What's going on?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. To get started, I need to ask you a few questions. Please respond when you can. The new cartridges you are using, are the New epson cartridges, or 3rd party refilled, or remanufactured cartridges?Before this issue occurred or when it occurred, did your machine suddenly quit printing in the middle of an operation?Have there been any power failures lately, electrical storms, paper jam's on the machine, anything of note that may have caused a machine fault?Have you tried removing *all* ink tanks, then unplugging the machine from pwer and leaving it unplugged for five minutes. And then turning it back on and inserting the ink cartridges one at a time when it asks you to insert them. I look forward to your response, Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. New Epson cartridges (both)2. No
3. No
4. Doing that now. Done. Still not working. Would the fact that the ribbon is 200XL instead of just 200 matter? What to do
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thats a good question, but unfortunately it doesn't matter. The XL just signifies that it contains more ink , then a normal cartridge. Its quite possible the printhead has failed, if you google epson failed printhead , or just failed printhead. You will see this has always been a widespread issue with consumer printers. To try and repair the issue, we need to remove and clean the printhead. Clean its electrical contacts ( especially the ones that read the ink tanks inside the printhead ) Here is a solid video tutorial that shows how to remove the printhead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0kDN0ccBZg If once youve removed and cleaned the printhead thoroughly, it still wont recognize the cartridges. Id suggest purchasing another used copy of the same machine. ( we can use your current machine for parts, if and when needed ) You can purchase another workforce 2540 here. ( which will also come with ink ) http://amzn.to/1BKRnjh The reason I am suggesting the same model is that, if you already have a large investment in ink supplies that you cannot return, it makes sense to continue using the same model.. If you run into any issues trying to clean the printhead, or have any questions you are welcome to respond. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.