Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Louie... I printed off the self test, you suggested, which

Customer Question

Louie... I printed off the self test, you suggested, which looked OK. That didn't surprise me, as I had already run another self test, using the ALT key. There is nothing wrong with the printer... It has to do with external problems, connecting with it,
as explained in my original explanations... We need to go on, if you will... Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Printers
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and welcome back to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, please re-check the BIOS settings of the computer particularly the settings for the LPT1. Try (whichever is available) ECP, then SPP, then EPP then ECP + EPP. Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to check the LPT1's BIOS settings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, not practical due to regional time differences.
Still and as inquired above; "...Were you able to check the LPT1's BIOS settings?..."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Louie.... First I apologize to you for not getting back to you. Due to circumstances, I have been
away, on the road, a lot. But, now have done just about everything, regarding my printer problems.Yes, I did check and changed the BIOSs on both of my XP CPUs. My Dell 4400 - was "Bi-directional".
I changed it to ECP, tested printing on my Epson AP 5000 ESC/P 2 = still failed. Changed it to EPP
tested = same. So BIOS changes did not fix it. Test print on my Panasonic KX-P1124 (both dot-matrixs)
which fails to print also. Remember, both printers' self test OK. Further testing (cable connected directly):
My other XP - Dell4600, fails to print to the AP 5000. However, it does print to the KX-P1124 = OK !
The BIOS on the Dell 4600, is and remains = PS/2. Did it not have the options - ESP or EPP.Another condition, should be considered. The AP 5000 error sometimes says "Out of Paper", when
it DOES have paper. (tractor feed). Also, will say "Off Line". Tried clicking "Off Line", then "On Line"
but stays "Off Line". Something wrong there...Louie, I'm sorry this is dragging on, due to my not being home, at times. Hope you don't give up on me...
By the way, how long does my payment of $48 - last ? Thanks for your expertise.. Gene P.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gene and thanks for getting back.
Let's try going back to basics (if have not been tried). Check the cable particularly the end connectors. Perhaps better yet, replace the cable (even if just to eliminate it as a suspect).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Louie... I know the printer cables are OK. When rebooting, the printers respond, being connected.
But to be sure, I used the cable that worked between my Dell-4600 and the Panasonic KX-P1124.
Connected my Dell-4400, with it, to both the Panasonic and AP 5000, both failed, as usual.
As I said in my last message, both printers give errors, "Off-Line", which cannot be switched to "On-Line".
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Gene,"..."Off-Line", which cannot be switched to "On-Line"..." would be indicative of failing to communicate/even handshake.To recap:• drivers;• test print;• BIOS settings;• printer cable. Is LPT 1 parallel port 1 set to I/O port 0x3BC, IRQ 7?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Info from Device Manager: LPT1: "Device working properly", "Never use Interrupt", Driver: ...... parport.sysIRQs : Accessing "System Info" --- Find NO IRQ-7 listed... Where do I look for "I/O port 0x3BC ?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Please try (again) checking in the BIOS. It would normally be displayed on the BIOS property's first page and can be changed in settings/sub-menu/pages.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, I am but a novice, at making these configurations. Have found my way around, accessing Control Panel,
Systems, Device Manager, etc. Messing with BIOS is a little more involved & dangerous, if you don't know what you're doing.
I assumed, booting up, holding the F-2 key, is the way to get to BIOS, right ? Now, the displays for my old XPs are out of date.The Dell-4400's BIOS is version "A04". Shifting to Advance, down to Peripherals, to Parallel Port = was "Auto". Changed it to
"Enable", revealed : ECP, Base I/O Address = "378", Interrupt = IRQ 7 (Bingo).. DMA = 3. That was all, I could find.
Booted up, re-tested my AP 5000. Still the same = "Off-Line". Now What ? I've been suspect, that my "Home Network"
configurations, may be involved, with sharing files and printers. I've revisited and checked it on my Windows-7 Dell-660.
Everything appears correct & working - (its Wireless) For example, I can print from my Dell-660 thru the XP Dell-4400,
which is connected by USB cable direct to my Epson CX-7800. What causes the "Off-Line" ?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Gene,
With or without a network, the printer connected to LPT1 set to IRQ7 should print. If have not been re-check, please see Device Manager / Ports / Printer Port (LPT1) / Properties to verify that LPT1 is indeed set to IRQ7 and I/O 378
The "offline" would most likely be caused by the computer not seeing the printer connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Louie, I am having problems responding to you.. When I click on "View My Answer", I get "Server Not Found"
which is "www.justanswer.comhttp". So I've used a previous msg from you, to submit this one.Device Manager - LPT1: Port Settings: was = "Never use Interrupt". Chg'd it to "Use any interrupt assigned to the port".
Tested both printers - both failed, with "Off-Line".Another communication problem....Tried to sign on to my account - which fails. I may be entering it wrong...
User name: GENES AP5000 FIX Password: fixmyap5000My question is: Is there an alternate method of communicating with you ? Possibly a direct email ?
Or a phone - directly to you ?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, due to regional time differences, phone call(s) may not be effective as expected. Similarly, this and email/direct communication would incur additional fees per site policies.Still, I would bring this issue of difficulty signing in to the attention of a moderator. And on the the printer concern, please check/re-start the printer spooler. Please click HERE for further insight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Louie... Ran "Print Spooler - Restart.... Which supposedly clears all print ques (and anything more ?)
I've been able to do that manually on each printer test msg. Test printed, but -- Still "Off-Line"....
If you've got any other suggestions, perhaps we can continue - tomorrow. Tue - 6/30 - if I'm home....
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Of course Gene; tomorrow or when able.
And would make use of the time to review/explore further the symptoms.
Cheers.