Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I cannot get my Brother MFC-J875DW to print even after installing

Customer Question

I cannot get my Brother MFC-J875DW to print even after installing a new BLACK
LC103 BL XL . The alert says ! Cannot print The printer does not have enough
ink to maintain print quality. Since I do not print in color, I have set
the machine to Grayscale, which has worked fine until just now after installing the
new Black ink cartridge. The Yellow cartridge shows full - while the other two colors
are empty. I was under the impression the printer would operate successfully with
a full black cartridge and a full yellow cartridge even if the other two were empty.
????? Hope you can offer some light on my problem. Thank you.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed the instructions given by NaTHAN - it did NOT solve the problem.
What else do you suggest? I am waiting for YOUR ANSWER. thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. I'm not sure what prior answer of mine given to another customer you may have been reading.However, the issue here pertains to your empty cartridges.All cartridges must have usable ink in them. Even if you have never printed color and never intend to do so. it is a color printer and requires color ink to function, even just for routine maintenance activities such as priming/purging the head. While you can set a grayscale mode to help conserve color ink at times, it is not a substitute for having color inks in place. That still has to be available and the printer will not function until it is replaced.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
If you do not replace the empty color cartridges, the printer can actually be damaged beyond repair, as those color nozzles will dry out, overheat, and short out. I'm sorry there is not a simpler answer here, however this is a limitation of the design and hardware of this machine.If you need links to buy some replacement cartridges I'll be happy to send that info. There are generic cartridges as well at much lower cost that may be a better option for you here since you'll use them so rarely. Best regards,Nathan