John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Refer to question previously sent needing help reassembling

Customer Question

Refer to question previously sent needing help reassembling my HP4500 Officejet Printer. An expert came back to me and I agreed to the $30 fee; however, I was cutoff during the payment process. Can you connect me with expert again?
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm back when you are ready.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you with your question today. I am John, I will do my very best to help you solve this problem.
Could you please explain the issue with the HP 4500 printer, a little bit more?
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,
Last week my printer quit printing in black (not sure about color). Best I could gather from HP and from YouTube is that the jets were probably clogged so I proceeded to disassemble the unit. It was soon apparent that those diagnosis were correct due to the amount of old ink that had congealed in small piles, mainly on the pads. I took the part out that carries the cartridges (I'm defining as part 'A') as well as the part in front and below that appears to guide the paper (defining as part 'B'). Sorry, I don't know the exact name of the parts. After removing the pads, I gave everything a thorough cleaning and began reassembly the next day. Had I made a few pictures of the 'before', I'm fairly confident I wouldn't have encountered the following problems:
1. The pads came cleaner than expected and I have the double-sided tape necessary to reinstall, but I can't remember their exact location and I'm unable to find a schematic showing so.
2. Similar to the above, three springs were removed that attached to either Part A, Part B, or both. Not counting the hook portions, one is small in diameter (less than 1/8") and measures approx. 1/2" long. The other two are same, each approximately 3/16" diameter with the coiled section measuring 1/8" long, overall approximately 1/2" long including the hook portions.
Without pads or springs installed, I have no issue with Part A and Part B installation, and I believe not with the few remaining parts. Pictures alone that I failed to take would be a godsend.
Is this something you feel you would be able to assist me resolving? If you need further information, please let me know. Many thanks,
Michael
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I couldn't find a service manual for your printer, however I have opted out to see if another expert can help you better.
Good luck!