Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

ThomasI'm having troubles getting a paper jam [front rear]

Customer Question

Hi Thomas
I'm having troubles getting a paper jam [front rear] to clear on my Brother MFC-J6710dw
I've tried everything that was on the brother support docs and it won't clear
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
First, to try to find out where the jam is (if it is an obstruction jam, as opposed to a misfeed jam), try pushing a card through the paper path, while the printer is Off and opened.
Second, in case it is indeed a misfeed error, those are often caused by aging, slippery feed roller or pickup roller surfaces. Those rollers should be cleaned, by removing the paper and the paper trays, opening the printer, taking a clean dry lint-free rag cloth, moistening it in alcohol, and reaching into the printer with it, firmly rub all feed rollers in the problem area three times over their paper-contacting surfaces.
Then allow 5 minutes for drying, close up the printer, and turn it On and try again.
Let me know (if the above is not enough to fix the problem)
1. where the paper is stopping in the printer
2. what message is on the printer then
3. how old the printer is
4. whether the paper is crinkled or folded, once it has stopped in the printer after a jam.
Let me know, and let me know how it goes. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay, work is crazy. I've cleaned all the rollers 3 times and nothing has changed. I still get the paper jam [front, rear] error. What now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer is a Brother MFC-J6710DW. I have the manual and have done all it recommends also.
ann
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If you have done all the things recommended, and including pushing a card through the path the paper takes, with the printer Off of course at the time... to check for obstructions.... then, I think there is nothing else to say, but that the printer is 'broken' - possibly owing to a control electronics fault or a misreading of a paper position sensor.
Try a hard reset first, of course: unplug the printer from the power while it is On. Leave it so, unplugged, for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Then, plug it in to the power, turn it On if needed, and see whether it can print without jamming this time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
I've done all those things
Must be broken
Thanks for the help
Ann
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry the result and the conclusion wasn't better.(If the printer is less than a year old, it will be repaired by Brother USA under warranty, if you contact them, and for free.)