Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a brother MFC 685Cw that keeps having paper jam issues paper

Customer Question

I have a brother MFC 685Cw that keeps having paper jam issues
paper is jamming at the top right after printing begins
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
paper is taken from tray fine, starts process of printing and jams at second set of rollers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. Please print a blank page and let me know what happens when you do.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
jammed again
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
When did it jam and exactly where with the blank page? How old is the machine? If over a year old did you happen to get an extended warranty? As I mentioned it is possible you are going to need to replace a part.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it jams right after printing begins, the first set of rollers takes it, printing starts and it jams at the second roller set. machine is out of warranty
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Does the page feel warm? Have prints been getting faded or duller?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
machine has worked perfectly for years until this
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Eventually all electronics fail. No to which question? Or did you mean both? Have you tried cleaning it at all yet?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No to both. I cleaned it well, made sure all jammed paper was removed. Sprayed some compressed air in at top. I just cant see those top rollers to see if they are damaged or not
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
How and where exactly did you clean? The compressed air is a good step though I would have done the same thing at first.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just cleaned everything out, made sure the rollers i could see and access were free of dust or debris and were moving, and rolling ok
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok the roller we want to clean specifically is the pick up roller since it sounds like that is where it is jamming. Turn the machine around and remove the rear jam cover. DO NOT place the jam clear cover face down. Doing this may damage the cover and cause paper jams.
Clean the Paper Pick-up Roller here with isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab. If you are not sure what to clean, clean the entire area in here. Put the cover back on and test it 3 times with a blank sheet. The first 2 may still jam.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already cleaned that rollers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You cleaned it the way I just gave you? If you have and it is still jamming that would be a very bad sign. Next you would want to remove the toner and drum and clean out the entire inside of the machine. Letting it cool down first though as the fuser can get very hot.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pick up roller works fine, the first set of rollers does too. printing begins and there's a second set of rollers that is where the jam is happening. these rollers are on top of the machine , i cant see them completely because they are under a something
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Please try what I just sent you.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cleaned with alcohol again, tried printing, same result. Do you understand that its jamming after printing starts? the pick up roller is fine
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The second set of steps I sent you had nothing to do with the pickup roller and is not what I asked as you said you had already done that. I will be opting out and opening this to all experts. If anyone else wants to continue they will reply the same way I did.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please do that.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Expert dimmusacio / Freddy is highly respected and has recommended everything I would recommend... but if you wish to try another step, there's this:
You say that the second set of (paper feed, not paper pickup) rollers is where the jamming occurs. If the paper is feeding 'sideways' or becoming diverted a bit aside from its usual course, or crinkled a little toward the top where the second set of rollers touched it, then try this, carefully:
- take a piece of rag cloth, clean and lint-free, and at least 6 inches wide, but less than 9 inches wide (or this may turn into a royal mess! no kidding) and roughly rectangular. A thin sheet of cloth from a leftover shirt (provided it is thoroughly clean first!) would do, trimmed neatly at the edges with threads not hanging loose.
- moisten the 'leading edge' (the part that will be pulled into the printer) *lightly* with rubbing alcohol. It should not drip!
- before it evaporates, let it feed into the printer a bit, holding on to the other end! to keep it from being drawn in and absolutely messing up the printer inside.
- carefully let it be drawn into the second set of rollers, and pull back on it to keep it from feeding further, and just let the second set of rollers draw on it, skidding against it, while you hold it steadily, not letting it be drawn in further.
This is risky in a number of details. This is not standard procedure.
But it will see to it that the 'unreachable' second set of rollers is cleaned! cloth with alcohol against roller surface, rubbing dirt and grease off.
Dangers and risks:
1. getting cloth tangled in the machine. Be ready to cut Off the power instantly if so!
2. getting cloth so wet with alcohol that alcohol squeezes out and onto sensitive components. Cloth should be damp or moist, almost dry, not sopping.
3. THIS IS IMPORTANT: IF THE CLOTH WILL GET NEXT TO THE INK CARTRIDGES BEFORE CONTACTING THE SECOND SET OF ROLLERS, DO NOT TRY THIS PROCEDURE. I'm sorry... I didn't think of that until now.
4. letting the cloth draw in farther than the second set of rollers. Measure the length, by eye at least, and mark the point to keep from getting farther in, past some 'lip' or other reference to the eye.
I disown formally all responsibility if you do not pay attention to all details of this process.
PS: The last step is, once the printer sounds a 'Jam', to draw the cloth back out, and turn the printer Off, wait 5 minutes for drying time, then turn it back On, and try it... hopefully with good results.
The alternative is, of course, to hire a tech to get into that second set of rollers, clean them or replace them.
Take care with the details, and good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell,How exactly do I access that second set of rollers? the printer will not feed with the back cover off or top open?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
The intent is to let the slight dampened cloth feed into the printer instead of a sheet of paper.
And to hold onto it loosely until it reaches those second rollers, then firmly prevent it from going much further, until the machine stops with a jam message. This gets the second set of rollers to rub firmly against the dampened cloth. Cleaning the roller surface.
Covers are not supposed to be open.
Remember all cautions!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it, but I don't think the printer will feed anything in if the paper tray isn't in place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would it help if I took a picture of exactly where it's jamming?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Please do post a picture to me. It would help me advise you - or any other Expert who takes a look at this case in passing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here you go, as you can see it's jamming on the one side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a few more. Is there a way to try to better clean the rollers from underneath? Where the paper tray comes out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More pics without the paper jammed. if you zoom in on the one picture with the paper jammed you can see a small white plastic piece that looks like it's blocking the paper. But on pics without the paper that piece isn't visible. I've cleaned these rollers as well, and pushed a piece of photo paper through and there doesn't seem to be any obstruction when I do that. the paper slides in and out
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
In the last posted pic, the printer jam 016.JPG, it seems to me that what I can point to is the rollers. Left to right, there are eight (8) rollers.And all but the second one from the left, have a double-stripe look on them, of white (paper dust or something) against black (rubber roller surface.)The second roller from the left, and the corresponding piece with two 'round blades' on it, apparently, that usually make that double-line-in-white-background, do not have the same white markings. And seem to be where the problem is: It looked to me, in the picture of jammed paper, as if the problem is blockage, at that second-from-left roller, not a case of simple misfeed by slippery or aged roller surface.Reach into the printer, and try to turn that roller, or its corresponding white-with-two-blades plastic piece... don't injure your finger on the blades though.Then try it with the very left-most, first from the left, roller and plastic piece-with-two-blades on it. Compare them. Do they differ?That part may have to be replaced, regrettably, if that's what the problem is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The black pieces that look like rollers do not move, the metal bar does. The plastic roller seems to be moving just fine with my fingernail. As I said I can slide a piece of photo paper right in and through.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
The black rubber rollers should move when the printer is moving and feeding paper... or how would it get those white stripes on it?But if you detect no problem there, no matter.Did you compare second-from-left to left-most? compare also, for thoroughness, the right-most also, since the paper feeds fine in that area. You also mentioned a white plastic piece that seems to be present when the jams occur. I did not see that... which photo is it in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
picture # *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the white plastic rollers seem to move fine, I can move them with my finger. All seemed the same
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That white plastic piece was indeed to be seen in the vicinity of the second-from-the-left roller.
It's a loose piece of the rollers, spindles, etc. that allow the paper to move along, guide it on its way, or otherwise serve in a similar capacity. It has snapped out of its place, and some piece in that area is therefore missing, that is present in all other cases.
It might have moved sideways, but that area of the printer is likely where it came from.
The first step to fixing it is, to remove that loose piece, or else snap it back into its place.
If that fails, the printer will need either servicing (to replace parts in that area, or the part the loose piece came out of), or replacing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, while there is no paper jam that piece is not hanging down for me to move or try to snap back. Should I let the paper jam, unplug then try snapping it in or removing it?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
"Should I let the paper jam, unplug then try snapping it in or removing it?"
- Yes, that makes sense. Try to snap it back into place first, but that may be impossible of course. I recommend this because the printer may well not work without it in-place.