John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a MG6100 printer which operates OK with one laptop over WiFi,

Customer Question

I have a MG6100 printer which operates OK with one laptop over WiFi, but using an identical 2nd laptop using the same WiFi, I can only print in colour. That is, it will not print in black.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed printer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Was the 2nd laptop working fine with this printer previously?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or mac computer?

Have you tried to uninstall/reinstall the Canon driver/software?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot print from either laptop in black and white now.

I use OS X Yosemite.

When I do a test print, the colours come out fine but the black & white grid does not print.

I have downloaded the latest driver but I did not uninstall the old one first. I do not know how to do that other than removing it from the list of printers.

Sorry, I thought you said the first laptop was able to print black & white?

You downloaded the latest driver, but were you able to open it in order to install it?

Put a black & white document faced down on the printer's glass, then select the black&white copy button/option on the printer, does it copy black and white?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Re the 1st laptop. It was working OK but now has the same problem as the 2nd one and neither will copy now.

In addition the printer seems to have reverted to default values as it took the paper for the copy from the cassette rather than the rear tray.

I have gone through all the cleaning options.

I have downloaded the driver again but not installed it yet.

1. On the printer, can you put a black & white document faced down on the printer's glass, then select the black & white copy button/option on the printer, does it copy black and white?

2. If yes, then can you install the downloaded driver?

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did not copy in black & white.

Should I still install the driver?

No, you don't have to; usually, copy must work first. You did the deep print head cleaning right?
http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=35565

; the black ink cartridge may have run out or it's bad, do you have a new black cartridge to try?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have changed both black cartridges.

One of the laptops was printing in B & W earlier this morning.

If I download the driver, does it overwrite the old one?

Oh sorry. Yes, it does overwrite, so please install the downloaded driver, and check.

If that does not work, try:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.

2. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears, and confirm yes.

After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.

3. Click on the + (plus) button to re-add the printer.

4. Check printing.

- If it still does not work, can you use a q-tip (or cloth) dipped with water, then clean the contacts of the ink cartridge holder on the printer? If needed, also, clean the contacts of the ink cartridge.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done that and it does not print in B& W.

Is the print head at fault?

I only have 15 minutes before I have to go out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Did not resolve the problem.
I trust you will not charge me.