Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a notice on my printer screen "Scanner error. Turn

Customer Question

I have a notice on my printer screen "Scanner error. Turn on and off again" I have done this several times but cannot get beyond this screen. Help
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you please lift the lid over the glass and look inside? Do you see anything out of place there, is the scanner "light bar" stuck in the middle or skewed? Is there any debris inside?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't seem to be but I looked in the ink area and a red light is on to the left
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
There is a red light inside the printer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I open the lids to install print ink cartridges, all the way to the left side there is a red light on.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I am just referring to the scanner part. As long as the carriage moves over when you raise that middle lid, everything is ok there. Is that working ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I just raised the lid again, nothing moves but earlier I was able to replace the ink cartridges to new ones
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
So did this issue happen before changing the ink, or only after?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just turned off and on again and pushed Menu and the machine was making a noise like something is stuck, maybe the carriage wants to move but doesn't.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure, I changed ink yesterday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen also is showing the Scanner message again
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That could have been the carriage trying to move or the scanner trying to move, Look inside the compartment again and make sure the cartridges are seated securely and look with a flashlight for any scraps of paper or other debris. Then reset the machine:unplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that. Scanner message on again. Also 3 flashing lights, the on button, the WiFi button, the fax auto answer button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, made the same noise when I plugged in again after holding as you suggested.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, this indicates an actual internal hardware fault. That means that the scanner head assembly has failed (bad motor/gear/belt in the drive path) or the logic board that controls it has failed. The scan head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $125; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the bad news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is not good news.....we had the printer stored for some months and was working fine until the day we stored it. Hard to believe it is no good now since it hasn't been in use lately
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That can actually make the situation worse. Even if it didn't have the scanner issue, it would almost certainly have a problem with clogged nozzles. These inkjet printers can't go more than about a week without being use before the nozzles start to clog up and become damaged. Even that was a recent event though, and the printer is already 2 years past what we expect them to last, so it has been on its way downhill for some time. All inkjet printers, regardless of brand, are essentially built to be disposable and will last about 3 years on average. If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers still. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1F4fCYC If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even if the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/ Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan