Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Russell, I keep getting a "Replace/Install Waste Toner

Customer Question

Hello Russell, I keep getting a "Replace/Install Waste Toner Tank" message. I have a Samsung CLX-3185FW printer. I've emptied and cleaned out the tank and the tank area, including what I think may be the sensor. I read a posting you made 3 years ago about the same problem. I can't locate any "little black switch" near or under the waste toner bottle.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
This sort of problem may not be easy to solve. I have no special knowledge about the model you have the problem with, unfortunately.
Try a hard reset:
- unplug the printer, while it is On.
- leave it that way for 1/2 hour or longer.
- only after that interval of time, plug it in again.
- turn it On. Does the error indication change?
Whether or not the error message changes, what *is* the error message resultant from that reset, as displayed upon the printer itself?
Additionally: Did you *replace* the toner bottle? or did you just remove it, empty it, and clean it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, Russell, I've unplugged the printer while still ON and am waiting 1/2 hour. As for the toner bottle, I removed it, emptied it, and cleaned it, and the area about it in the printer. I'll be back in 1/2 hour.
By the way, It looks to me that JustAnswer.com only offered me a monthly program which I didn't select. I'll be happy to pay $26 for ONE satisfactory answer. Am I going to be billed next month for a monthly subscription, or can you give me a phone number to resolve it?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I have no power over subscriptions, terms, billing, or payments. I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us
They will address your concern with reasonable promptness, I feel sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just plugged the power cord back in....same message....."Replace/Install Waste Toner Tank".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello....any response?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to say that the only conclusion I can come to, is that a new waste toner tank will make a difference. At any rate, even if it turns out that it doesn't, it is the next thing to try.
In case another Expert might have further advice to offer, I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, the switch is not an actual switch but is a sensor.If "...the toner bottle, I removed it, emptied it, and cleaned it, and the area about it in the printer...", then either clean the sensor as a hopeful workaround or this may be indicative of an internal hardware failure; i.e. a faulty sensor.Please click HERE for the location of the sensor # ***** from the exploded parts diagram of the Service Manual.