VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

Im Esko from Finland. The printter stopped while printing.

Customer Question

Hello, Im Esko from Finland. The printter stopped while printing. What shold I do? The problem is in Canon Pixma MG5350: U052 "The print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head." There is original print head and correct ink cardridges.
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. Sorry for the issue. I think that we can get it resolved for you.
Well, with this issue there are a few issue;s that may be the culprit. Stray Voltage across the Print Head or Print Head is need of cleaning or lastly. The Printhead must be replaced due to age or damage of some kind.
If I may ask: How long have you had this printer? Also, has there been any other problems with it as of late?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had this printer two years. No other problems.

Ok. Do you know how to remove the Print head from your printer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I down´t know how to remove Print head. I have only changed ink cardridges.

Ok, what I would like for you to do is to remove the print head. Please see below:
Lift the gray lever up and remove the cartridges, look just below the gray lever and you will see two rounded protrusions inside towards the rear of the black box. Then grasp these protrusions with your thumbs and forefingers and gently pull toward you, there may be some resistance but pull smoothly towards you. The print head will come out.
Then follow these procedures to clean the Print Head:
Steps for Manually Cleaning the Printer Head
Step 1 - Remove the ink tanks and printer head. Remove the ink tanks from the printer head (tank holder) and seal them in a zip lock or other sealable plastic bag. Set them aside, preferably propped upright.
Next remove the printer head (it snaps out). NOTE: You may want to wear latex gloves to help keep ink off your hands.
Step 2 - Soak the printer head. There are multiple suggestions on ways to clean the printer head and all have some variation on the following:
Get a small, shallow pan and lay down a layer or two of paper towels in the bottom of the container to protect the printer head circuitry from contact damage.
Heat up (via microwave) enough purified/bottled water to cover the paper towels. You can also use a 50/50 mixture of ammonia and distilled water (about a pint will do). Heat the mixture in the microwave for about a minute or so - it should NOT be boiling.
Slowly pour the water or mixture over the paper towels so that you have approximately 1/2 inch of liquid in the bottom of the pan.
Set the printer head into the container on top of the towels. You should see ink 'bleeding' out. Move the print head to several different spots (about a minute each spot) and shake gently. This will dissolve the ink clogs.
If the printer head is badly clogged let it soak for 3 to 4 hours or overnight. You can move it slightly to a different spot every hour or so.
Alternative Soak Method:
Mix a 50/50 solution of warm water and Windex and place in a shallow container, enough to cover the base of the printer head and ink ports. Leave for 2 hours while agitating the unit occasionally. Remove from the mix and lightly scrub the base and internal ink ports with an old soft toothbrush. Do not scrub the gold contacts but don't be concerned if they get wet. Return the unit to the mix for another 2 hours and agitate occasionally. Remove and scrub again as before.
Step 3 - Flush the printer head with water.
Hold the unit under a softly running warm water tap. Place your finger over the tap to create back pressure to allow you to squirt the water into all crevices of the printer head. You should see the gunk build up flow out. Do this until the water runs clear.
Step 4 - Dry the printer head and replace.
Remove the printer head and rinse it thoroughly with distilled water. Shake it dry and set it on folded paper towels to air dry. (Some folks use a hair dryer on a low setting to dry the printer head.)
Reinsert the printer head and ink tanks. The printer should automatically do a "Printer Head Alignment." If it doesn't, manually perform "Printer Head Alignment" through the printer's utility. Next run a printer head cleaning cycle or two followed by printing a nozzle check pattern to check your progress.
Repeat as necessary.
Variations on the Above Steps
Soak the printer head in one of the proprietary solutions (Cartridge Flush, Magic Inkjet Flush) specifically designed to clear print heads. Soak the print head for about 10 minutes to overnight depending on the degree of blockage. It has also been reported that you can clean the print head with an electronic toothbrush and cleaning solution for about 20 seconds with excellent results.
Use a full eye dropper to flush alcohol through the appropriate ink 'hole(s)' that show inside the printer head unit. Don't rush this: do a drop at a time or you might flood the inside of the unit.
Purchase an ultrasonic cleaner. Wash the printer head under the water tap to remove excess ink. Load the cleaner with the printer head and water so that the printer head rests lengthwise in the cleaner with the electrical contact surface visible. Repeat the cleaning program a few times, using clean water in each program.
Preventive Maintenance
It's a good idea to regularly conduct preventive maintenance on your inkjet printer to prevent it from developing clogged printer heads. Printer heads become blocked for a number of reasons, but the most common is simply that the ink cartridge and the printer head have dried out. Never let the printer stand with an empty cartridge. Either fit a fresh one, or seal the print head unit in a plastic bag with a few drops of water for humidity. Since print heads become clogged when not used for long periods of time, regularly print a page or two to keep the print heads clear. Some experts say that it is better to print one colorful page a week than to run a printer cleaning cycle, because doing so uses a lot less ink. Ideally, printer cleaning cycles should be started once a week to prevent the printer head from getting clogged.
There are other more ink-efficient ways to be able to clean printer heads that will prevent their clogging just as effectively as running the printer's cleaning cycle:
Brush the printer heads with Q-tips soaked in water. Sources vary on whether alcohol would be more effective than water, but in the opinion of some printer experts alcohol can be harmful to printer heads and should thus be avoided.
Buy a cleaning kit and use it regularly on your printer. A typical cleaning kit usually has a tube of ammonia that you can spray on the printer head to remove dried ink.
Covering the printer when not in use to keep it free from dirt and debris also helps prevent the printer heads from getting clogged.
If the steps above do not work. Then please let me know and we will move on to another procedure Sir or Madame.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You so much of good instructions. Now it´s late, so I will clean Print head after purchased tomorrow distilled warer and Windex or ammonium.

Have a nice day

Great, not an issue. Please take your time....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Charles.

I have tryed to clear, what colour is clogged with one drop of spring water on each inside ink "hole" as You told to do with alcohol.

Position BK, Black, takes the drop in immediately and after some drops I can see water on tissue at output. Yellow ,Y, is also good as well as PGBK.

Magenta and Cyan took spring water very litle in the colour channel. But it took somewhat so that there were coloured water on the paper tissue.

At last no more coloured water.

Then I tested it wice versa; spring water on output. Water drops dropped down out from YL and BK and PGBK from inner ink "holes".

There was water drop keeping inner hole - not dropping out, although continuing put water on outer "holes".

TEST AFTER CLEANING AND AIR CLEANING

There is still the same error U052 on the printers screen.

Does the printer give error U052 if there is still blockage?

Should the memory of the printer to be resetted, and how to do it?

What You recomment next?

Thank you kindly for getting back to me. Well since the error is still coming up there are two steps that can be taken. Do a Printer Reset or buy a new Print Head. Now the Reset may not work. Since it is still generating that error. I recommend to acquiring a new one Sir or Madame.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/canon-printhead
Or
What is the closest Major City nearest you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do You know how to reset Canon MG 5350 from printer itself?

There is no resetting software on printer's DVD.

Please see the video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aedPja3XL_I
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Youtube video is not for Canon MG 5350.

The beginning of the video seems to be correct: the printer goes to "service mode" as he says on the video.

But when the bilinkin is stopped, and I press ON-button as on the video, it shut the printer.

Should I press something else in case of Canon MG 5350, than ON-button, to get resetting to continue correctly?

It seems to be so that in the printers memory is wrong bits when it compares information to Print head.

So the resetting MG 5350 is necessary according to it's spesifications.

ON please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On the video when time ticker is 1:07 he press ON-button - and then there happens the most important part of the resetting.

But when I press my printers ON-button it means current OFF immediately and the important procedeure doesen't happen and printer is closed.

I have done it three times.

On the video after time point 1:07 happens memory resetting, but my printer is then without power.

Ok, I will find another solution for you. The last resort though may be to buy a new print head...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found discussion of Canon U052 error. The failure seems to be typical for Canon printers.

- it hapens that people has purchased new Print head, but it does not remove the error U052 from printers screen. The same type failure is in many Canon ink jet printter models.

I would be thankful, if You could find Canon Pixma MG 5350 Service Manual, there is correct resetting procedure.

I suppose the service manual is available only for professionals. Could You help to find that information?

It may be waste of money to buy new Print head, as well to buy new Canon Pixma, because of sensibility to error U052.

It's late. So I have some household to do.

Have good day.

I have the service manual, I will post the procedure here....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that's good You have the resetting procedure.

I'm really willing to test it, if helps to solve printers problem.

I try to reset my printer according to the Service Manual of MG5350 resetting instruction.

I continue with printer reset and testing in the evening when I have done other works today. The short summer in Finland busy time.

I inform You Charles in the evening, step by step what happens when resetting of printer start and is that error still there.

Charles, I am contented to Your work to continue solve the problem.

Let's hope the best that we can get the printer working.

Ok..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Refer to Your message 9.6.2015: "I have the service manual, I will post the procedure here...."

I have not yet got that post.

Please, post me the resetting procedure of mg5350 service manual for my printer.

Ok, please hold on...

Here you go Sir or Madame:

1.Turn the printer off.
2 Press and hold the resume button (red circle with triangle in it)
3. While at the same time as holding the resume hold the power button and the printer power light will come on.
3.Release the resume but keep holding the power button then press the resume button 5 times.
4. Release all buttons and the printer will look like its loading but nothing will appear on the screen this is service mode.

5.Download a program called Service tool v3400.

The link is below:

http://driverssupports.com/2014/04/resetter-tool-v3400-download-free.html

After resetting the Printer, if this procedure does not work. It is time to acquire a Print Head.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You. I´m on the road. I try to reset soon.

Ok, not a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No succes.

The print head is mechanically ok, but likely electrically broken.

Thank You Charles of Your persistent and excellent help.

All the best to You.

Esko

Ok, since that is the case then you must buy a new or new to you Print Head.
Please consider a Positive Rating for the Service Received.