Martin, Engineer
Experience:  16 years, include works in aluminium plant, industrial machinery, military weapons, programming
14666028

Error message 1017 on canon pixma mx922, "paper tray empty",

Customer Question

Error message 1017 on canon pixma mx922, "paper tray empty", even though there is paper in the tray.
This happens when sending print command from Apple devices (iPhone 6 and iPad). No error message when sending print command from pc with Windows os.
Any suggestions on fixing this?
Thank you
Category: Printers
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi. What are you trying to print, a webpage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I tried to print an image of a receipt from my Photos folder.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
That seem to be a problem with that familly of printer. There is two tray, the upper for smaller paper and the lower for standard paper. I assume you want to print on standard 8.5x11 paper?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
It seem that printer make assume things for us. That mean that if the thing to print is little or an image, it want to auto direct it to the upper tray. I assume that the file system in Apple product someway inform the printer in way that the PC NTFS file system does not.
One workaround would be to save the picture as PDF and then print that PDF file. That way any information about it being a picture would be encapsulated in the PDF format and the printer should try to print it on normal paper in the under tray that is usually used for text.