Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My Canon Pixma MP495 will start to feed paper, goes cockeyed, then whe

Customer Question

My Canon Pixma MP495 will start to feed paper, goes cockeyed, then when printing begins, the paper is not in place, no printing results. There is no apparent paper jam.
A separate problem...the power cord will absolutely not plug in properly, so it comes unplugged with a slight movement.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
It sounds as if the first problem is related to dirtied paper pickup and paper feed rollers in the printer, made of rubber or plastic. With time their surfaces age and/or become slippery. Cleaning can help with this.
The second problem... that may be harder, though it is obviously simpler. I think you might 'shim' it to the point where it stayed in securely, with e.g. a bit of postal rubber band wrapped around it just before it is inserted, so as to make it slightly bigger - with the rubber band pinched in between the cord's end and the walls of the jack.
As for the first problem again:
If the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into faxes and printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.
Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.
Take a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.
(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)
Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.